cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook advert scam

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was on the Facebook app Last night and I saw what I thought was an article on some new smart watch, it was an advert... When I opened it Is was ask to do a survey, it asked 3 questions:,
What do you prefer, apple or Android?
Large or small screens?
And I can't remember the last question but upon selecting an answer is received the following text

FreeMsg: Thank you for subscribing to Topikoo for £4.50 per week from Tekka until you text STOP to 62442. HELP? 03332021398

I had to text STOP but it's already charged me £4.50 plus what ever the standard charge for my reply was. Anyway it was just a heads up, someone is becoming a millionaire by ripping people off.
Message 1 of 24
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I never click on anything FB related. Easy for me to say  but must be really annoying when people find they have been scammed like this.

You can report it to the FB community

https://www.facebook.com/help/181495968648557

Then you should contact the company and demand your money back... Thanks for the heads up..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
One reason not to use facebook. Get adblock on your device or an equivalent. I always used the desktop version on my phone as it can't interact with your handset as much.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I never click on anything FB related. Easy for me to say  but must be really annoying when people find they have been scammed like this.

You can report it to the FB community

https://www.facebook.com/help/181495968648557

Then you should contact the company and demand your money back... Thanks for the heads up..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Report it to the regulator too http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 24

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Facebook is literally a gold mine for these type of scams. We like to think we are wise to it all but many people can be conned this way with youngsters particularly vulnerable and easy prey.

Message 5 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

How did the advert get the mobile number to text? 

Message 6 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

How did the advert get the mobile number to text? 

I presume when the OP signed up to do the survey they were asked to input their mobile number?:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
No that's the thing, I didn't put any details in, it was just 3 questions, none of them personal so I can only presume the Facebook app gave them my number.
Message 8 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
No that's the thing, I didn't put any details in, it was just 3 questions, none of them personal so I can only presume the Facebook app gave them my number.

Then that's an outrageous breach of your privacy. I am sure you have to tick something to 'allow' FB to do that?

Or perhaps it's something you have to UNtick? Who really knows. FB is so intrusive and one of the reasons I now use it rarely..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

If they are scammers I would imagine they don't care two hoots about your privacy, but normally permission has to be given for a facebook app to get your personal details. Either way a real heads up about the dangers of facebook - the golden rule with social media is assume everything you put there is available to the world, even if your profile is private.

Message 10 of 24