cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails - those on servers , those served on ones device. Explain. Geeks anonymous

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Emails     I was having an off the cuff discussion with a virus checker service this am and we got onto the subject of email protection.  Time ran out and I didnt have time to fully take on board the differences below.  Help?

We have our devices protected by ESET NOD 32  , including payments etc. 

There protection is aimed at items within the computer.   The staff member was trying to explain that there operation deals with emails coming into the a device not ones with servers in NY.     Live mail was mentioned , microsoft etc as protected but not AOL for example ????

I have an understanding of what she means but havent understood completely.  Can any of thee Geeky persons get to the bottom of this.

One means of protecting incoming mail is fine. The other type is unprotected.

Bang

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
ESET is just a brand name for software.
NOD32 is anti-virus software https://www.eset.com/uk/home/antivirus/
There are many different forms of anti-virus, anti-spyware programmes so it's just a case of personal preference.
I use AVG Free and SUPERantispyware - serves me well enough.
The differences in email protection are how they interact with the way you view your email. They will all protect Outlook or other downloaded email clients such as Thunderbird etc but not all will cover webmail, however, most webmail providers, Google, Yahoo, Hotmail etc have their own built in protection.
Anyone who tells you that one service or programme is any better than another is just trying to sell it to you wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jenny105

There is what is referred to as client or endpoint security software which runs on the PC (Windows or Mac) which will usually include on access scanning of files, e-mails being sent/received and process monitoring for actions such as screen grabbing when on secure sites etc among stuff like preventing the use of known exploits in the host OS.

There's also server versions which do similar but can cope with larger demands and can monitor virtual machines and OSes in containers.

If you have processes running on physical servers or even Virtual Private Servers rented from a host, you should have security software on them to secure the file system and if it runs a mail service, to secure incoming and outgoing mail too.

If you don't want to name the vendor in public happy for you to PM me with it and I can perhaps explain what they were saying to you a bit better.

Message 3 of 6

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi M15 I think this puts it in a nutshell. The pieces are coming together. Hubby used NOD 32 being reccommened by his IT bod years ago. Weve been satisfied and that's not an issue. I had to ring to put new device onto their system and got talking to their operative about emails . She was S European . As you know telephones plus strong accents dont suit my disability so I was struggling to understand her meaning. But yes email clients were mentioned as were webmail. Got it now .
What a complex world we live in now. My Dad was born before buses, cars, domestic electricity, tv, telephones. A letter posted  am arrived pm

Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It certainly was much simpler back then....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jenny105

Hi

As a home user you'll only be able to use their client products.

AOL has gone through a number of changes as you'll know no doubt, it now seemingly comes under the control of Oath which also owns Yahoo and is a subsidiary of Verizon.

I doubt very much any provider will not have an antivirus solution in place to protect their customers and themselves but I have no idea what the likes of Google or Oath have deployed.

Microsoft I believe has it's own proprietory solution.

However irrespective of that you shouldn't run without one.

I've not used NOD personally but have heard good things, personally I have experience of Avast!, Windows Defender and am currently using Sophos Home (we use the commercial version where I work)

Message 6 of 6