Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Will Be First To Launch 5G May 30th

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Don't rush out to get it. According to this article,"full next-generation 5G"will not be available until 2022, which is probably the same for all the networks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48363462

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve just been watching a BBC reporter demonstrating the capabilities of 5G (it’s being launched in six cities today), and it was impressive. But what’s really concerning is the admission that they’d temporarily lost the service, because they’d run out of mobile data faster than they’d anticipated.

It’s hardly surprising when you’re downloading whole movies for example, but it means you’re going to have consider increasing your data allowances in order to fully benefit from that service, which could be expensive for some people. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48426481

Edit: to add clarification. 

Message 11 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

There was something about them deploying 5G temporary masts at Glastonbury but I gather it's just the air interface that is being deployed, it'll be connected to the existing 4G core network and I imagine that'll be true for most as upgrading the core networks isn't likely to be quick or cheap.

Message 12 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

There was something about them deploying 5G temporary masts at Glastonbury but I gather it's just the air interface that is being deployed, it'll be connected to the existing 4G core network and I imagine that'll be true for most as upgrading the core networks isn't likely to be quick or cheap.

I can't understand the rationale for installing 5G at Glastonbury. It would be the last place I would be willing to take my extremely expensive brand new 5G phone!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't understand the rationale for installing 5G at Glastonbury. It would be the last place I would be willing to take my extremely expensive brand new 5G phone!!

@Cleoriff 

Two words of course.

Marketing drive.

I'd imagine they hope to persuade a few thousand festival goers to move to EE.

I tend to be discreet about using my phone in public anyway but as you say, looking at the premium on the handsets currently, I'd imagine some of the thieving low lifes will be looking to pinch some of these.

Message 14 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous 

Of course you have a point there re marketing and changing to EE. That went completely over my head joy

I still wouldn't take my every expensive phone there though.Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff 

Indeed, it's all hype anyway.

Guaranteed that once rollout id widespread and more people are using it there'll be complaints about people getting 'only' 350 Mbps to their handsets.

The more capacity that becomes available, the more people will use.

The marketing aimed at the operators tends to revolve around how many subscribers a new base station can support and how much more power efficicent and easy to manage it is.

That side of things tends to interest me more than handsets to be honest.

Message 16 of 16