Not applicable

@organist500  E-sim was due for iOS 12 roll out but @Chris_K will know 

Message 2 of 16

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Considering they now to do the Apple Watch, hopefully it won't be too long until they support it on the iPhone.
Message 3 of 16

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

We do plan to bring eSim to more devices in the future but don't currently have any further info or ETA on this. As and when there's any news to share on this, we'll let everyone know.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 4 of 16

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Hey @Chris_K do you think you could do like an article about it and how is works
Message 5 of 16

organist500
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Planning to bring e-sims to more devices is frustratingly vague. Doesn’t O2 have a research and development department working on this who will be able to give a definite date? Can’t you at least ask around? After all, if no one knows, then it’s not going to happen any time soon.
Message 6 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm afraid that's the standard answer for these things from O2.
Most of us have stopped asking / expecting and just accept that it comes when it comes.
If you want innovation, you are with the wrong network these days unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 16

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@organist500 wrote:
Planning to bring e-sims to more devices is frustratingly vague. Doesn’t O2 have a research and development department working on this who will be able to give a definite date? Can’t you at least ask around? After all, if no one knows, then it’s not going to happen any time soon.

Unfortunately I can't go into any specifics, but it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that launching an eSIM platform is no easy or straight forward task. SIM cards themselves have been pretty much the same for around 20 years - all that's really changed is the physical size of the card. Physical SIM cards are woven into almost every customer journey we have, and one of our tasks is to ensure the eSIM journey can complement these existing journeys - because for the next several years at least, physical SIM and eSIM will need to co-exist. 

Launching this new technology for a new product category like Apple Watch was extremely challenging, requiring many new processes, and updates to existing ones. Doing the same for an existing product category like mobile phones, that impacts many millions of customers, is even more complex - particularly when trying to ensure a high quality and fault-free experience. 

That said, the teams at O2 involved have worked tirelessly on all the technologies needed to make the eSIM platform fully integrated, and though it works perfectly on Apple Watch, we're not yet at the stage where we can support a wider deployment of the technology. There are other pieces of the puzzle we're working on (and have been for a long time - but as I said, eSIM is a massively complicated technology to get done right) to ensure customers have the best possible experience. I know customers like yourself have been waiting patiently for eSIM to come to other devices like iPhone XS or Pixel, but I assure you we are not idly sitting and watching the world go by... I'm sorry we can't share any specific dates or further info, but with how complicated this technology is, it's just not something we can give any specifics on until we're confident and closer to the time. 

I promise, as and when there's anything we can share, we absolutely will – but until then, there’s really not a lot more we can say or divulge I’m afraid. 

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 8 of 16

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Purely speculation but I'd expect this from O2 in the next year or so

I'm basing this off Apple Watch launches which also use eSIM technology and the following timeline

September 2017 - Apple Watch series 3 launches with eSIM capability on EE only

September 2018 - Apple Watch series 4 launches. Vodafone join EE as eSIM compatible carriers

November 2018 - iOS 12.1 released. EE enable eSIM capability on iPhone XS (Max) and XR

June 2019 - O2 start selling cellular Apple Watches

Again I'm speculating so take with a huge pinch of salt but I'd expect Vodafone to start doing phone eSIMs probably when the next iPhones and watches are announced in September. O2 I'd expect to join the phone eSIM party either then or at some other point in the next 12 months. I'd also expect 3 to join the Apple Watch party at some point sooner rather than later and offer phone eSIMs either at the same time or a few months after

Message 9 of 16

organist500
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK, thank you for your reply. Appreciated.

Message 10 of 16