cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Billiing

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, this is a bit long, but I'd like to offer this case as warning to other customers.

We used to have a business phone account, with three family members using it, SIM only. On the 19th May 2014, we went to an O2 store to swap to three individual accounts. The store assured us that they
would take care of everything. We had three new SIM, with temporary numbers. We then transferred the
numbers, from the old account to the new accounts. I believe we made it clear during the phone
conversation, we were moving to personal accounts. I had wondered for some time why our bill was so high,
but never got round to investigate, until I mentioned it to my daughter and the mistake was relieved. We did try to contact O2, but as it had been a business account, we had to call Mon-Fri 9-5. I've only had time to do it now, as I'm off ill from work. It transpired that all the bills are in fact personal accounts. I have now spent some time talking to O2 and they have informed me that it was my responsibility to cancel. This is contrary to what we were told in store and I believe it would have been obvious during our call to transfer the numbers to the new SIM's. I'm sure they'll have a recording of the call on their system. They have refused, point blank to
refund anything, hence my complaint. We have now been paying an additional bill for an account we have
no numbers for. This over charge is currently in excess of £1,200.00.

You have been warned!

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Now that sounds like a good idea! Thanks!
Message 31 of 40

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Best of luck, come back and update us on how it goes
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 32 of 40

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93224 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Be aware they won't refund you if the direct debits were set up correctly for active accounts. This is something you need to sort out with o2 not your bank.

http://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/Pages/DirectDebitGuarantee.aspx

Direct Debit Guarantee

Your rights

Organisations using the Direct Debit Scheme go through a careful vetting process before they're authorised, and are closely monitored by the banking industry. The efficiency and security of Direct Debit is monitored and protected by your own bank or building society.

The Direct Debit Guarantee applies to all Direct Debits. It protects you in the rare event that there is an error in the payment of your Direct Debit*.

Direct Debit Guarantee

• The Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
  • If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
  • If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
    • If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to
  • You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify the organisation.

* The Guarantee covers Direct Debit payments. It cannot be used to address contractual disputes between you and the billing organisation.

You need to prove that o2 set up the direct debit in error. The biggest issue you have is that it has taken months for you to address the issue. Not a banking error, not an o2 error whereby you took out additional contracts. An error by shop personnel but compounded by yourself. However, I wish you all the luck in the world sorting this out.

Message 33 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable
We'll, I have spoken to a supervisor. He believes the first sales assistant I encountered (the one fresh back from maternity leave), had set up a group account, but when the second assistant took over, he set up three individual account, hence the extra account. However, he is only cleared to make "Good Will" payments of £250.00, which by his own admission doesn't come close. I now have to wait for my official complaint submission to be processed. I'll let you all know how that goes.
Message 34 of 40

MI5
  • 144318 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
£250 is better than nothing for something you really should have acted on much sooner.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 35 of 40

jonsie
  • 93224 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Expensive whichever way you look at it and though £250 doesn't nearly come close to covering it, it's still a chunk of money. Accept that and see what the complaint brings.

Message 36 of 40

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I wouldn't accept the offer at this stage, as they could try say you accepted this in full and final settlement
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 37 of 40

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Be interesting to know whether the supervisor made a record of that £250 offer on your notes/account?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 38 of 40

jonsie
  • 93224 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Problem being that the offer may be withdrawn and the complaint review service may offer nothing. Can you see them refunding £1200? No, me neither!

Ultimately blame can be apportioned to both the OP and O2 but sometimes you need to take what's on offer. Difficult choice that only the OP can decide on. 

Message 39 of 40

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

it would be interesting to see if o2 how many signed contracts they have, as it sounds like there are 4 set up. 

if they can only provide evidence of 3 (the individual) then that would give proof that the 4th was set up without consent and thus the OP is entitled to challenge the DD set up...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 40 of 40