Did you mean: 

Do you self-diagnose at home?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi everyone,

Continuing with some interesting health-related discussions from last week, we'd like to ask about your views and experiences on self-diagnosing at home.

Nowadays there are an increasing number of online and mobile resources and services for many related things such as...

• Looking up symptoms online or via an app on your phone (such as WebMd and NHS symptoms checkers)
  • Finding home remedies to try from online/mobile resources
  • Doing your vitamin and cholesterol blood tests as well as allergy and intolerance tests at home with online services
  • Consulting with a virtual doctor online or via an app (e.g. Babylon Health)

Have you used any of these types of services and self-diagnosing resources (or anything similar not mentioned above?) How have they worked for you? What do you think about them in general and do you feel there is a gap of certain types of online tools/apps that you'd love to use in the future? Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Poppysmum
Level 19: Quirky
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

Sorry to hear your stressed @Poppysmum. Here's hoping you feel better soon heart

Thank you slight_smile

Message 11 of 14

Poppysmum
Level 19: Quirky
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

The NHS up here have been brilliant for me, not just in the last two years, as far back as I can remember. I would never use self diagnosis, that's far too dangerous in my opinion.

Glad they have been brilliant for you @jonsie 

Message 12 of 14

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12043 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1121 Solutions
Generally speaking the NHS have been really good for me and close family.
I do know of some horror stories though - wife's sister had an ovarian cyst that was left for 9 months before they did anything. While removing it they knicked something else (not sure what) and has had to have 4 further surgeries to correct it.
I think there are good and bad points to the NHS. The front line staff (Dr's and nurses) are in the main simply fantastic. There will be the odd one or two that give others a bad name - for instance that chap off 24 hours from a couple of weeks ago!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 13 of 14

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10760 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi @Marjo 

Funny thing about researching a symptom is that there are lots of symptoms that are similar to one another!frowning2

Never would use online Dr.  

I would never self-diagnose

I take my own Blood Pressure occasionally. (bought a machine)

If I'm not sure about something I use the Surgery's Pharmacist ~ she is always helpful, she is also experienced and will often say pop into see doc.  We are now encouraged to ask our Pharmacist 

she can also advise a hospital visit via the doc's appointment system.  She is also available to take blood pressure test too.  Very useful for advice.

We can use a telephone call with doc if necessary  or

we can use a linked doc service outside surgery hours at our local hospital 

this little hospital is local charity supported in many different ways (legacies, hospital shop in town, donations etc.)  by the people in our Market Town and is a superb  addition to our community ~ appointments made via own doc surgery.  If worried can see a Doctor in a day.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 14 of 14