cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between signal on contract and payg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just wanting to know of this is normal, or even allowed.
I have with me 3 different phones, One a o2 contract phone, and two pay and go o2 phones, one of which is brand new (got today). The signal currently on the contract phone is 2 bars with 4g active. No signal on either of the pay and go phones. I swop the SIM cards between the contract phone and pay and go phones and the signal strength swops with them, telling me that the phones are ok.
Can anybody shed some light on this ?
Cheers
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144144 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Does the signal improve if you switch the phone to 2g only or is that what they've refarmed in your area to get 4g ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is no longer 2g here, I think they have removed that to squeeze in 4g. I have tried manually setting the phones to 3g, but it makes no difference sadly.
I wouldn't have thought anymore about it if all three phones had always bad signal , due to the area we are in, but it does just seem odd that the PAYG phones are more negatively affected.
Message 12 of 16

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Rural areas don't always the best reception in my experience. 4g has improved this in a lot of ways. Other networks have varying support where I live.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 13 of 16

Julian_93
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

We are in 2023 and it is the same sh!7 everywhere I've been with O2, Vodafone and and EE. As soon my contract ended i switch to pay monthly same phone same sim the signal suddenly dropped down.

I don't know if this practice is legal. But somehow they limit your signal and priorities the sim cards on contract.

Message 14 of 16

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10141 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions

@Julian_93 

Not sure why you posted to a nearly 6 year old thread.. 

But yes prioritisation by all networks, and has been since day 1 and is legal, and unfortunately PAYG is at the bottom of that list, and to be fair consumer pay monthly is not much higher... 

The only customers who get any SLA's and service guarantee's etc are the companies who pay in the 7 figures each year to the networks, and also government and the likes of the NHS and the emergency services..
And remember these customers cross subsidise and and pay for some of the infrastructure, and that is on top of the 7 figure contracts...
Same with Internet Access, if I pay for dark fibre and a POP, then I should and will get a better service than someone who pays for 10Mb Broadband...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 15 of 16

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6521 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1480 Solutions

My wife's pay monthly on Vodafone Voxi gives exactly the same readings as my contract Vodafone.

Often PAYG does not have the bells and whistles like VoLTE and WiFi Calling but I've never noticed a difference in signal.

There are some EE MVNO networks like PlusNet which do not have access to 800MHz 4G and that does make a difference 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 16 of 16