cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date in europe

Anonymous
Not applicable

02 Seem to be limiting data rates in europe to H+ maximum speed. Is this going to change soon or must I change provider.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
There are only 4g roaming agreements in Germany currently.
All other countries are 3G.
We expect it will all be 4g eventually though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 32

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
They are "limiting rates" as they do not have any 4G agreements in place.
Have you checked if your device uses the different bands/frequencies used in the locations you need faster connections?
If getting faster speeds in Europe are a must then (as far as we know) you will need to change to another provider.
Alternatively you could get your device unlocked and use a local sim.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 32

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

H+ is between 3G and 4G so you should be getting good usable data. Not 4G I know but O2 have started to get agreements now for 4G, Germany 🇩🇪 now and more countries soon. 

Message 4 of 32

Keysey
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Was in Spain in October and the wife had 40Gb down and 20Gb up on Vodafone 4G, mine was really not worth talking about (2.37down, 2.99up), I was due an upgraded handset in November but think i'll probably wait until my Contract is up and go back to VF.

Message 5 of 32

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If you are in Spain regularly then yes it's probably your best option. 

How do they compare in the UK? 

Message 6 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122371 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I thought this data throttling was over? I can't speak for Spain recently as I haven't been back since February (before the new regs came in) but it sounds pretty appalling. I also know they have no 4G currently with O2 ...Shocked

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 32

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I've not had any problems recently anywhere I've been.
I guess it would still depend on traffic on the masts though which could slow things down at busy times.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 32

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Yes the speeds quoted show data isn't throttled but could well depend on traffic and the Vodafone speeds show that it's not somewhere off the beaten track. The o2 speeds are usable but obviously the nowhere near comparable to Vodafone.

Even more galling when it's your wife with the best speed. Mind you, probably better that way than having your wife moaning in your ear the whole holiday if it was the other way round...... 😉

Message 9 of 32

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
and of course Voda would be smoking the 4g variety.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 32