cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data only SIM traffic management - Streaming

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been having problems streaming HD and 4k content over my O2 40GB per month SIM, I have installed in a TP-Link MR6400 v2 4G LTE router and I have great signal (100% according to the router).  www.speedtest.net shows good results about 45Mb/s but fast.com shows I have very slow download 1.2Mb/s. 

Fast.com replicates streaming from Netflix and it is this result that made me realise that O2 are traffic managing video streaming traffic and limiting the bandwidth for this traffic.  I had this confirmed when I swapped to a data only SIM from Three, again 40GB per month, the same tests I saw very different results! Speedtest.net about the same with 45MB download but fast.com was 54Mb/s!!! What a difference and now I can stream full 4k with no buffereing from iPlayer and Amazon Prime.

See data below

O2.png3.png

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Something we have known happens for years on o2 mate.
Using “bypass” as the username for apn sometimes helps.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, maybe I should've tried that before cancelling, but Ive switched to Three now. Luckily I was within my cooling off period!

Message 3 of 5

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
No worries mate.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions