Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data charges on iphone

Mikezoe
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My partner keeps getting her balance reduced by £1 accidentally and wanted to stop this happening despite ALWAYS having the DATA setting OFF.

It seems that a second toggle called WIFI ASSIST has a green ON position by software default.

SETTINGS/MOBILE DATA/ scroll down several pages to WI-Fi Assist 

Toggle this to OFF (white)

NOTE that if you are outside a WiFi area or not connected to a WiFi then if you accidentally tap a web link or any App that needs a WiFi connection, if that toggle is green, EVEN IF THE MAIN DATA TOGGLE is OFF, you will trigger the MAIN toggle GREEN and be charged £1.

In my view this is bad. iOS software should install with the default WIFI Assist button OFF otherwise millions of people accidentally incur charges for data use of £1 not knowingly wanting that service. I bet 99.9% of the time that £1 is charged the user did not knowingly trigger the service.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Mikezoe  I'm not an iPhone person, but from what I've read, this is a constant problem. As far as I can see, the issue is with Apple, not the network providers. I will tag @adamtemp64 who is a regular iPhone user. Perhaps he can offer some advice.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 6

Mikezoe
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I agree and said it’s Apple’s decision to make WiFi assist a default ON position which most contract phone users might be happy with!
Message 3 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
@Mikezoe I'm sure the networks don't complain about the default to the ON position either.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 6

Mikezoe
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Shouldn’t O2 warn its payg users of the issue?
Message 5 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's not the responsibility of any network to instruct customers how to use their phones.
O2 will offer advice, if asked and if you had asked on here, we could have told you about WiFi assist.
The feature is also available on Android devices so anyone with a smartphone really does need to learn about it's features.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 6