cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Roaming performance in USA

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just returned from a week long trip to New york, and like others am totally disgusted with my O2 roaming performance , £4.99 a day for what exactly?  it didnt matter what network i was connected to , wither At &T or t mobile i had an indicated full signal and 3g all the time  yet it was so slow i couldnt even perform a speedtest , i also had a vodaphone phone with me which worked fine and a three sim in my ipad which was also fine and cost no extra to my monthly contract, i feel this is a total con by o2 and im sure when i complain they will say " well you used 1mb so thats enough "  do they really think you can do anything while abroad with such a ridiculously small amount of data?  

its about time offcom got involved and did something about this, if you cant even send an imessage what use is it?  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AnonymousIf you wishto complain then use this link https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
i did that and received some money back , it doesnt change the facts tho that we are getting ripped off
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143417 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Totally agree. All O2 travel destinations are heavily restricted and throttled, it's a right ripoff!

Using a local sim in an unlocked phone is the only viable way of getting decent mobile data speeds unfortunately.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

which is fine , but i already pay enough to O2 ( and have done for the last 15 years or more ) and want people to be able to contact me on my normal number too so changing sims isnt really an option,   voda can do it as can 3 its a shame o2 wont support its traveling customers 😞   complaint to ofcom in the writing. 

Message 5 of 8

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35210 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

It is a mystery how the competing UK mobile providers can offer so much better connectivity and performance, often for much less cost than O2 charge, when roaming either in Europe or in the USA (I have no idea how much better or worse it is in other parts of the world, but I can make a guess...!) than O2 provides, @Anonymous

Good luck with the complaint and result. 

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 143417 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's purely down to o2 not paying for a better service from the home networks.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

O2 were dragged kicking and screaming into allowing the removal of throttling in the EU and yes its all down to cost in the rest of the world. 

Message 8 of 8