cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costs of calls to mainland europe even though by european law you should apply same charges?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have just reviewed my pay monthly charge on O2 and believe a charge for 64 quid for a 56 minute call to germany, when I am on a zero rated tariff for calls made from europe to here, surely is illegal under european law, as we are still members of the eu and therefore are required to obey those judgements.  All decisions of that court are currently accepted as providing precedent in any supreme court case;  my understanding is that this has not changed and although intended to change, hasn't yet been removed as that change to the act of parliament hasnt yet been passed, and has not therefore been enacted by the Monarch, and I'm afraid may not either because of the increasing risk of financial damage to the UK economy.  I have asked this bill now to be refunded because of this; these charges were not explained or any charges for any calls to europe outlined when I changed my contract on the 12th August.  This I believe is required in a printed format for me to read and take away.

I do NOT value a telephone service that performs it's customer services duties that way, which may lead to the termination of my contract and a small claims court case triggered as you are here by informed and invited to make an offer of a refund.  I think it sensible thaat O2 consider perhaps making me an offer of 250 quid for the inconvenience the fact that your operator doesnt seem to know the law on such issues and simply invited to escalate the matter to someone with more legal understanding.  I would suggest you have a look at this link.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/taking-legal-action/small-claims/small...

It is up to any person to challenge anything and of course failure to present yourself in any court case invites immediate liability in any small claims court case.  Of course the tariff is free and of course the failure to explain the actual costs when the reciprocal arrangment is free is illogical.  There is a reasonable expectation of that to be the case.  In this situation given the costs of having to get a solictor and come and defend the claim for 10k, at the end of the day a court may refer itself to a different track.  Do you think it is in O2's interest to have all these illogical charges aired in a court with suitable people invited as observers?

What do you think?

Ubicon

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Which is why it will be laughed out of court but probably won't even reach court in the first place.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 12

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous, thanks for posting your feedback and sorry to hear that you had unexpected charges on your bill. 😞 

We have a helpful guide on the community knowledge base also on the difference between Roaming and International calling, in case it might help clear things up on how it works, see here.

Message 12 of 12