cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consoles : Playstation 5 vs. Xbox Scarlett (pure speculation)

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Ok I was reading a little thing on Wired's website about Playstation 5. 

Whilst it all seems exciting I think until either xbox scarlett or ps 5 is still speculation.

PS 5 for the moment uses SSD storage (customised) therefore fixed in place and not swappable I imagine. Which is fair enough, it is after all a console. It uses AMD Navi's chipset which doesn't seem to support 8K displays out of the box (that is 4320p60 or 7680x4320@60Hz). I believe for the moment 8k requires two HDMI or Displayport connections at the same time.

XBox scarlett info is thing on the ground. However what these consoles have in common are a shared graphics chipset. SSD storage which is faster at reads so should load things faster than a mechanical drive by 2 or 3 or times on average.

I know PS5 is going to be using a version of Linux so shouldn't have any of the windows nonsense.  

Anyway my focus this year will be to update my mobile phone to something shiny and new.

I know some of you are excited about all this console stuff. Personally I think PS 5 might be worth looking at the moment. 

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not really a console fan, a gaming PC is more my thing but speaking as someone who deals with problems with a mixture of spindle drive and SSD based systems on a daily basis I can say that any system designer worth his or her salt would be completely mad to design a new system around a spindle drive unless it's for mass storage of video and audio but as flash technologies improve and become cheaper I think the spindle drive's days are numbered as even if you pop in a 10,000 rpm drive it still cannot feed the CPU quick enough.

I have an SSD in my PC for OS and software load and one spindle drive for data storage just because a large one was cheaper than an SSD.

Message 2 of 5

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
I have a few system builds in mind all from lower end to higher end. Initially I was going to go with Intel although AMD is consistently keeping up with them now and offering better multithreaded performance. Single thread performance has also improved.

Basically I am willing have nvme ssd for boot\os and another ssd for storage. I will decide later on how much is ideal.

Message 3 of 5

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@anticpated a lot of rumors going around at the moment but I'll be getting a PS5 for sure. Been with Playstation since the PS2 so it would take something big from X Box to make me switch over. 

If it's anything like previous generations there won't be much difference between them though. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 5

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

From a hardware point of view it will be quicker however maybe the gameload times will seem similar due to extra graphical detail like raytracing which will enable physics-based reflections etc.

The gameplay should improve too due to increased realism.

Message 5 of 5