Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Ranking

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Now I possibly am going to be shot down in flames for this post but it really is a general concern of mine.

This business of 'going up the ranks' on the number of posts you make (irrespective of content) seems weird to me.

I will willingly use myself as an example. I have posted a lot of stuff, always questions, because I know very little about smartphones. I have also started a few discussions. However, I have only 'helped' a couple of folk with my limited knowledge, so it seems wrong somehow that I should now be classed as Talented (Rank 😎 primarily as newbies may be of the opinion I have a wealth of knowledge of smartphones (hahaha..can hardly breathe for laughing!)

On the other hand people like Jonsie, Perksie, Opium , Bambino, MI5, Papadug, Gillfankskev, stuart1983, Liquid, adamtempo etc etc (apologies if I left anyone out!) fully deserve their rankings because of their knowledge and willingness to share it.

I have no idea how it could be changed, if at all but I personally feel its not justified for folk like me to move up the ranks just because I gab a lot Smiley LOL

An example of what I mean is this...if you took 100 tests in a car and failed every test.. would you be a better driver than someone who took it once, and passed? Just saying....Smiley Embarassed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@jonsie

Could not have put it better

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 11 of 37

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

When the idea of rankings and kudos was first raised during the testing of the new forum in beta, every one of those invited to participate were against the proposals but our views were discarded due to the 'vision' of the forum designers.

Our opinions were asked for but very little of what we suggested was implemented.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 12 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah like being helpful & stuff but doesn't bother me if we have ranks or not, don't really pay attention to them lol
Message 13 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its always nice to move up the ranks as your knowledge grows

Message 14 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Knowledge is power ha ha(not)
Message 15 of 37

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22939 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I have seen people post literally thousands of posts, just so they can move up the rankings. Thousands. The ranks mean absolutely nothing. What counts is if you can help someone. It's really all that does count.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 16 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Or post rants that get lots of kudos
Message 17 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

I have seen people post literally thousands of posts, just so they can move up the rankings. Thousands. The ranks mean absolutely nothing. What counts is if you can help someone. It's really all that does count.

Surely that's why it uses solutions as well

Message 18 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
The solutions help others also not just regular users
Message 19 of 37

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Its always nice to move up the ranks as your knowledge grows

See that comment in some way, is the point I was making i.e. 'as your knowledge grows'... NOT move up due to the posts you make. I know it would be nigh impossible to 'measure' your knowledge but it seems silly that I could, in theory, respond to EVERY reply posted by an expert by saying 'I agree with so and so' and then, by gawd, I would shoot up the rankings!!!

I just think it gives a false perspective of your knowledge base related to phones, broadband etc etc

If I refer back to my original post, I made the comparison that someone who takes their driving test 100 times and FAILS is not classed as a better driver than someone who takes it only once wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 37