Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Ranking

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Now I possibly am going to be shot down in flames for this post but it really is a general concern of mine.

This business of 'going up the ranks' on the number of posts you make (irrespective of content) seems weird to me.

I will willingly use myself as an example. I have posted a lot of stuff, always questions, because I know very little about smartphones. I have also started a few discussions. However, I have only 'helped' a couple of folk with my limited knowledge, so it seems wrong somehow that I should now be classed as Talented (Rank 😎 primarily as newbies may be of the opinion I have a wealth of knowledge of smartphones (hahaha..can hardly breathe for laughing!)

On the other hand people like Jonsie, Perksie, Opium , Bambino, MI5, Papadug, Gillfankskev, stuart1983, Liquid, adamtempo etc etc (apologies if I left anyone out!) fully deserve their rankings because of their knowledge and willingness to share it.

I have no idea how it could be changed, if at all but I personally feel its not justified for folk like me to move up the ranks just because I gab a lot Smiley LOL

An example of what I mean is this...if you took 100 tests in a car and failed every test.. would you be a better driver than someone who took it once, and passed? Just saying....Smiley Embarassed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is true

Message 31 of 37

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Last up rank I got was 3 weeks ago and I've posted an obscene amount. Unless off topic isn't counted?:/ I have limited myself to that board mostly.

I must say I only really see ranking as an indication of activity on the boards people like bob or gill (:P) seem to know more than me but are ranked lower which I deem unfair if its supposed to be an indication of knowledge.

Also with the amount of posts of mine that are passive aggressive or sarky I really don't deserve my rank based on post count :D.

Its a difficult one to come up with an adequate system because;

Kudos are given also for funny, sarky posts as well as informative.

Solutions are rarely given (annoying!)

Posts can be a load of crud just parroting what others have said previously or no relevance or context to the topic at hand(guilty:().

I like the idea of setting our own ranks a lot. No different from being allowed our own signatures.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 32 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have to agree with that jonsie.

Message 33 of 37

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Well that was written whilst I was typing my essay but I completely agree:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 34 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could the off topic section not count towards ranking as that kind of isn't a help section
Message 35 of 37

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

The number of posts in the off topic sections all contribute to the rankings and in my humble opinion they should have no bearing at all on the level 'awarded'. Why should someone making one line quips and agreements have a higher ranking than someone resolving threads for customer queries although making fewer posts? It makes no sense at all.

Totally agree Jonsie which brings us full circle really to my original query about ranking. I make no apologies for saying most of my posts are in the Off Topic/Discussions section. This is because I know nothing about phones, but hope I can start a good debate. I just fail to see why I should be ranked higher because I can 'gab' a lot Smiley LOL

Also re the discussion about getting a high rank due to 'Solved' issues. Isnt that hit and miss? Many problems on here are solved but if the OP never returns to their post.. who actually can give it a 'solved' status? (I personally always press the 'accept as a solution' icon when the issue is sorted!) You see, you start a debate and it opens up many cans of worms....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 36 of 37

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Any of the community managers can (mods maybe as well). Toby's given me a few solutions previously.

Message 37 of 37