cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Come On O2!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Allow tethering options for NON iPhone customers!!!.

I WONT get an iPhone, I DONT WANT an iPhone. I test a lot of Nokia devices and want to be able to use my phone as a modem. £15 for 3GB i am willing too pay (not many people are) but I cant because i choose not to have an iPhone.

Yet now on Vodafone you can pay £20 for 5GB on your phone and use that as a modem for streaming, VOIP too.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm equally as frustrated as you are.
O2 used to allow this with the Web Max bolt on. They have, however, subsequently retired this bolt on and require you to get a separate contract and separate dongle (what a waste, eh?).
After arguing this point with customer services quite extensively last year, they eventually offered to add the old Web Max bolt on back to my account, but at £30 per month (not exactly competitive pricing).
There doesn't seem any logic to this, other than trying to hook people into new contracts.

What do you get data allowance wise for the £30?

It was 'unlimited' (=3GB, after a bit of prodding) for the £30. I declined their offer. This was last year, so not sure if you'd be able to argue for it now.

£30 for 3GB not sure i would want it now anyway. £20 for 5GB on Vodafone AND they allow ANY contract customer to have it.
Message 11 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Blimey, Iphone-er saying they don't want to pay it, others saying they do, o2 can't win grin

All I can say is for everyone who wants this service, email in! Let them know there is a market for this product.
Message 12 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well my O2 contract ended about 15mins ago. Sticking to Vodafone because O2 cant offer 2 basic services unless you have a phone you dont want.
Message 13 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well my O2 contract ended about 15mins ago. Sticking to Vodafone because O2 cant offer 2 basic services unless you have a phone you dont want.

I sympathise with you, particularly after a wonderful conversation I had with CS (to be fair, not the operator's fault).

- You can't use your phone as a modem
- But the SE software works fine, I can connect without a problem
- It's a violation of your T&Cs to do it.
- But I'm happy to pay, please, just bill me for the usage
- We can't do that
- Why not?
- We don't have a mechanism to bill you for the usage.
Message 14 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
As far as I am aware that advice is half wrong.

It is against the T&C, however I have seem peoples bills who have done this and it has either come from their allowance or they have been charges normal GPRS charges (web daily is £1 max per day).

I have also seen peoples bills where debt dept have been onto the account and put bars on saying they are obviously using the phone against the T&C and they have had to pay an interim or just have a warning.

Then I have seen someones account been disconnected because of doing this so many times despite the warnings.

Only a handful of cases though in 3 years, when I am sure many people are doing it.....take from that what you will........
Message 15 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you buy Mobile broadband dongle it means you can still use your phone at the same time as internet, its a seperate sim therefore no need to swap sims around, its a tiny dongle you would carry around with a laptop, i do suppose ppl carry a laptop in a case!!!! so where is the problem with that???????

Im an iphone user but opted for the mobile broadband stick on P&G, it gives me control of how much i use the dongle and is less hassel!!!

you say email to let o2 know there is a market, O2 have a product for your needs iphone or not, tethering is an apple product not o2, O2 are just the selected carrier for the iphone, otherwise i guess O2 wouldnt offer it at all, as it is a direct and comparible product to Mobile Broadband.........
Message 16 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
its a tiny dongle you would carry around with a laptop, i do suppose ppl carry a laptop in a case!!!! so where is the problem with that???????

I think you've missed the point here.

Yes, it's a small bit of kit, but why should we re-contract, pay a hardware subsidy through the contract, and get and carry another bit of kit around, when it is something that most modern phones can do very easily with no extra kit, and no new contract - if only O2 provided a bolt on tariff or similar.
Message 17 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
well i decided to give it another go so got Simplicity back.

Called CS today and said to them i have a sim only and have ordered a PAYG iPhone to use the SIM in. Please can they add the Tethering bolt-on for me and remove the £7.50 web one.

I was told by the guy on the phone the settings I would need (mobile.o2.co.uk as the APN) and after a few seconds he said it will be active from tomorrow.

Now i didnt actually order an iPhone, i just said I did to see if I can get the Bolt-On. I will be using a Nokia N86, N85 and when it comes out a Satio but from tomorrow it looks like I SHOULD be allowed to tether.

I actually think the guy made a mistake as when i asked before i was told no it HAS to be an 'iPhone Contract' so 18/24mths.

I will know tomorrow when i check My O2 and check my Bolt-Ons and will let everyone know
Message 18 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
well it worked.

I got up this morning and checked my Bolt Ons and it still had the old one. Was going to call and expected an argument but before i called i got texts with settings.

Looked online and not only did i get the 3GB Tethering bolt-on but the free WiFi access too!,
Message 19 of 19