cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Account?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been happy with my O2 service but am leaving the country and need to close my account. How do I do this online?

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
To 100% guarantee account closure I would suggest you request a PAC (this can be done online with live chat) then get a PAYG sim card from any other network (EE, Voda, Three etc) and port your number to the PAYG sim card.
This will close your O2 account immediately and generate your final bill (this bill will include any costs due to you not fulfilling the contracted requirements if applicable).
Once the number is ported you can just dispose of the PAYG sim card if you no longer wish to retain the number.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
You can try using live chat but best if you call CS to close your account. Or close it by recorded letter.
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You cannot end your contract online.

You will need to call Customer Services on 202 to give notice to end. If your on the Refresh Tariff you'll need to pay up the Handset Plan and end it or if on one of the older tariffs you will be required to pay up any remaining amount of months left to run minus any bolt on's and Insurance (if applicable)

O2 will then let you know whether you have fulfilled any contractual agreement you may have with them.

Please do not cancel any direct debit with your bank until a couple of months after you've paid your final bill , just incase O2 do try to take a further payment ,and it defaults ,which can cause many issues even if it's not your fault.

A help link -> http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...

Tip :

If your phone is locked to O2 then unlock it before you leave as its free for Contract Customers via -> https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

So you can either use the phone abroad with other Network Sim Cards or increase its street value if your selling it on.
Message 3 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
I was under the impression that you can request a pac from live chat which would trigger a generation of a final bill?
Or is that just when contract is finished?
Message 4 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122373 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

As you are moving abroad and apparently have no need for a number to be ported,you need to call CS on 202 and give them 30 days notice

You need to make sure you leave your direct debit in place for a month or so after closing account to ensure any final monies owing to O2 have been collected.

If you check your account via MyO2 you will be fine when you see a zero balance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
To 100% guarantee account closure I would suggest you request a PAC (this can be done online with live chat) then get a PAYG sim card from any other network (EE, Voda, Three etc) and port your number to the PAYG sim card.
This will close your O2 account immediately and generate your final bill (this bill will include any costs due to you not fulfilling the contracted requirements if applicable).
Once the number is ported you can just dispose of the PAYG sim card if you no longer wish to retain the number.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Thanks @MI5 and @Cleoriff wasn't too sure of the exact details.
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried twice to speak to customer services each time I have been put on hold. The first time was 25 mins and I gave up, I tried again today and after 50 mins I was told "customer services were now closed, please call back tomorrow"

If I were trying to upgrade or take out a new contract my call woulld have been answered immediately.

Customer services - JOKE

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have heard from people who have been on hold for 1-2 hours.

Just hang in there.
Message 9 of 9