cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas pressie bought from ebay - handset barred

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
I just bought an iphone from ebay but when I tried to activate it with 02 I was told that it is barred. How do I get it unbarred?
Any advice welcome - Thanks!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
If the phone is barred it's generally because it's been reported stolen or lost.

Considering you bought the barred phone from Ebay, one of these is likely IMHO.

Only O2 can unbar a phone if the IMEI has been "blacklisted".

Best to ring O2 CS, only they can tell you exactly why it's barred and if there's anything that can be done.

SV
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually O2 cannot legally tell you anything. The only person who can request that info and request it be unbarred is the original account holder.

If I was you I'd be looking to try and get your money back from whoever sold it to you on ebay.
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a common scam that Ebay will do little about.
It is either someone perpetrating an insurance fraud or fencing stolen goods.
Report it to Ebay and the Police as well as trying to contact the seller.
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with DaveC, I no longer buy phones of ebay because this is very common now!

They either sell you a stolen phone or they report the handset lost/stolen 30/60 days after you receive it then they claim on their insurance for a replacement!!!

That way you have no come backs on paypal, you been scammed pure and simple!
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I strongly advise you to get in touch with the police because the phone may be stolen and therefore you have been supplied with stolen goods.

They may try to trace the owner and help you sort the situation out with both the eBay seller and the original owner.

If you want to get additional information of the eBay seller you bought it from, you can gain additional contact information from My eBay in your eBay account.

I hope this helps, and if you have anymore queries please do not hesitate to contact me.
Message 6 of 6