Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for data in Norway but never been to Norway, ever

nousrname
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have taken two separate trips to a country in South East Asia let’s say on Nov 1st and Dec 1st. Both were 12.5 hour flights from London Heathrow with Wi-fi on board but you have to purchase it, which I did not. I always ensure that my phone is on airplane mode before take off.

O2 is charging me data worth £44 and £33 each trip on Nov 1st and Dec 1st i.e. both days of departure. The system says I used the data in Norway. I have never been to Norway. The flight path is over Belgium/Germany/Austria. The times that the internet was used, the first might coincide with the plane landing in south east asia but the second time was when I was in Heathrow!!

An investigation has been launched. I just cannot understand what has happened here. I’d like to know if anyone else has had the same thing happen to them?
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

So pleased you got a gesture of goodwill @nousrname

Always risky when taking phones on aircraft and ships.

Best way to avoid any charges is to turn your phone off completely. (Annoying I know... but we do see similar posts to yours often)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 26

Krupp
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes,

I have a bill for £40 of data for connecting to a mast in Norway while flyig back from New York.

I have goodwill gesture for £20 but I have told them I will be taking it further

Message 12 of 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Frequent complaint unfortunately.

Let us know how you get on but 50% is a reasonable gesture from O2.

Message 13 of 26

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Krupp

Have you seen the help here ?

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cruise-Liners-Aircraft-Charges/ba-p/1058892

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 26

Krupp
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks,

Yes £20 goodwill is nice, but still £20 for data I have never used sat on a plane!!

I have escalated it through customer services, waiting a call tomorrow, they have gone home for the night

Message 15 of 26

Krupp
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks fro the link, really helpful, if its satellite based networks i'm connecting to I understand that, but they are just not helpful, I did NOT use the phone the either waive the £40 or I take it even higher, hey must be fleecing thousands with this, oops sorry not our fault cough up anyway
Message 16 of 26

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35213 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Interesting. 

Two features on Android to be wary of:

Screenshot_20190508-185414__01.jpg

Turn the one above Off when travelling in foreign parts, and

Screenshot_20190508-185215__01.jpg

disable the Smart Wi-Fi switcher feature. 

I have been able to latch onto Wi-Fi from a nearby coach whilst sitting in a car in heavy traffic, as the coach was between me and the nearest mobile phone mast, and the coach's on-board Wi-Fi signal was the stronger signal... rolling_eyes

Conceivably, the same could happen when sitting at a boarding gate at a busy airport - you latch onto a stronger signal coming from a plane at an adjacent gate, or similar.

Must check our Community Guides and see what they say about this.

Glad you got a Goodwill payment. 

Message 18 of 26

Krupp
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the aadvice , most helpful.

O2 called back today and have waived all £40 of data charge from Norwegian phone mast.

It will show as a £40 credit on my bill on the 16 May so I will let you know.

Sorry if I messed up Post / Thread as I am total noob!!

@pgn @jonsie @MI5 @Cleoriff 

Thanks guys!

Krupp

More info
thumbsup
Message 19 of 26

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions