Changes to the forum to tackle spam!

Abs
O2 Social Media Team
O2 Social Media Team
  • 1014 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 8 Solutions
Hi Everyone,
As with any forum, we have to tackle the issue of spam. While we have a team of moderators that look after spam removal, there are times where spam stays around longer than we'd like.
We know that spam makes the place look untidy and doesn't provide you with a great experience in our forums. So we're going to be trialling a number of changes that should reduce the amount of spam.
These changes will not affect any existing users so continue to use the forum as you normally would.
If you've got any questions or comments, please do leave them here for us!
Thanks
Abs
Message 1 of 126
125 REPLIES 125

Anonymous
Not applicable
Last 24 hours :
121 new registrants of which 12 have posted.
So the ratio is consistent whether looked at over 24 hours or 7 days.
So how about this for a new forum T&C :
Have an expiry period of, for example, 48 hours. If a new registrant has not posted within 48 hours then the registration is deleted.
Message 51 of 126

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
That's a good idea, I'm sure some people register just to have a look around and never post anything, so deleting their account wouldn't really matter.
Simple matter to advise them when they sign up I would have thought.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 52 of 126

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Why register to look around? You only need to register to post!!
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 53 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why register to look around? You only need to register to post!!

Exactly.
It seems to me that a significant percentage of spammers register, then for whatever reason, wait for sometimes several weeks before starting to spam.
The 48 hour (or perhaps even less) period would eliminate many spam registrants and probably discourage re-registration.
The result would be a very tidy Members List and a reduction in spam posts.
Message 54 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I registered to read the forum,the advantage of registration is I can see new posts since my last visit.
This is only my second post and it took several months before my first, Thus if I have understood correctly then removing new registrants that don't post after 48 hours would deny this facility.
Regards
John
Message 55 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would be with John S, the forum does not need a change of rules it just needs active effective moderation. On all forums there are folks that never post be read to gain info. Yes we could change it so the flagging is a better system, but really it is all down to how active the mods are.
Message 56 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
@John S
With the greatest respect for your reasons for being registered but not actively posting, you are in the minority....i.e. a member since August 4, 2010; first post March 25, 2011; second post May 25, 2011.
Most genuine members are significantly more active than you. Most spammers are significantly more active than you until they get blocked.
Personally, if it means controlling spam effectively, then I wouldn't mind causing you a little inconvenience by making in less easy for you to view new posts since your last visit.
Message 57 of 126

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
I don't think it would be too much of a hardship to have to re-register if you haven't posted anything, and you don't have to register at all just to view the forum.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 58 of 126

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions
I'm also with John S on this one.
I am a member of many forums where I rarely, if ever post but being able to see new topics since I last visited makes the registration worthwhile.
@RFTG Just because somebody is in the minority, does that make them a non-genuine member? Every forum will have it's lurkers (no offence intended to John S) who are quite happy to sit in the background and see what is going on.
When they feel they can add something to the discussion then they will as John S has just proven.
####
#siwy
Message 59 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just because somebody is in the minority, does that make them a non-genuine member?

Of course not, but as in most other social/commercial/business groups, if you are not a "full" member then you don't have the same privileges as a "full" member.
If the only disadvantage is not being able to see new posts since last visit then that is a very small price to pay.
Message 60 of 126