Changes to the forum to tackle spam!

Abs
O2 Social Media Team
O2 Social Media Team
  • 1014 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 8 Solutions
Hi Everyone,
As with any forum, we have to tackle the issue of spam. While we have a team of moderators that look after spam removal, there are times where spam stays around longer than we'd like.
We know that spam makes the place look untidy and doesn't provide you with a great experience in our forums. So we're going to be trialling a number of changes that should reduce the amount of spam.
These changes will not affect any existing users so continue to use the forum as you normally would.
If you've got any questions or comments, please do leave them here for us!
Thanks
Abs
Message 1 of 126
125 REPLIES 125

Anonymous
Not applicable
And lots of them are still on now at 6.15!
Message 41 of 126

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
time for o2 to wake up and smell the coffee
I will be off cannot deal with all this pointless time spent flagging.
o2 please respond within 24 hours or my previous comment about my removal stands and you will lose one of your top responders and usefull posts in one fell swop.
dm sent again via twitter
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 42 of 126

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
7.12 and finally all spam has gone
Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 43 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
So there could be 731 potential spammers within the 831 actual registrants.

😮 😮 😮
Message 44 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
Seems to be quite a few recent reports concerning IP address 208.51.40.50 :-
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=65647
Could this be connected to this morning's event ?
Message 45 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good going O2!
Message 46 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all
Thanks for your comments so far. Some of them concern me a little - they read as though you think we’re actually doing nothing, so I wanted to reassure you that’s not the case.
As we mentioned in the original post, at the moment we’re trialling a number of changes to try and reduce the amount of spam. As with any trials, you learn by just that – trial, and error.
The important thing to be conscious of is that it’s not just one thing that we’re trying. We’re looking at different methods and their effect, along with the feasibility of combining two or more of them. The trials are still underway and will continue for some time. Clearly, last night was a particularly ‘busy’ one in terms of spam, identifying where we can improve in preventative measures, but we were pleased to see normality restored by the reactive team very early in the day. In spite of blips like last night, we’ve noticed an overall improvement, which will continue as the trials progress and develop.
We appreciate and understand how frustrating the spam posts are. We’re taking all of your comments on board – after all, that’s the purpose of this thread.
Thanks for your continued support and vigilance.
Thanks
Chris
Message 47 of 126

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Chris
As usual thanks for the input.
It is just the frustration at all the obvious usernames and www links in the members list..
If that was cleaned up it may help with the new measures in place.
If the team can add a red flag option in the menmers list I am sure a few of us could help in flagging the offenders
Apple Watch series 4

Message 48 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Chris
The only frustrating part to me of this spam problem is this :-
1. There are obvious spam profiles which are allowed to stay in the Members List until they are used.
2. There are extremely old Profiles, some dated 2007, which have never been used. This indicates a lack of effective "housekeeping" which is sending the wrong message to spammers.
3. The number of recent Profiles that have never posted is massive.
Message 49 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
Chris
As usual thanks for the input.
It is just the frustration at all the obvious usernames and www links in the members list..
If that was cleaned up it may help with the new measures in place.
If the team can add a red flag option in the menmers list I am sure a few of us could help in flagging the offenders

Similar to the Apple Discussions board where you can only flag posts once you have been thanked for help enough to reach reputation level 2. Then you can flag them and they are looked at fairly rapidly.
Message 50 of 126