Changes to the forum to tackle spam!

Abs
O2 Social Media Team
O2 Social Media Team
  • 1014 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 8 Solutions
Hi Everyone,
As with any forum, we have to tackle the issue of spam. While we have a team of moderators that look after spam removal, there are times where spam stays around longer than we'd like.
We know that spam makes the place look untidy and doesn't provide you with a great experience in our forums. So we're going to be trialling a number of changes that should reduce the amount of spam.
These changes will not affect any existing users so continue to use the forum as you normally would.
If you've got any questions or comments, please do leave them here for us!
Thanks
Abs
Message 1 of 126
125 REPLIES 125

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yet again today, 121 new registrants in the last 24 hours and only 9 of those have posted.
The percentage is remaining the same whatever period is looked at so it is quite possible to draw the conclusion that approx. 85% - 90% of registrants are potentially spammers.
Message 31 of 126

Abs
O2 Social Media Team
O2 Social Media Team
  • 1014 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 8 Solutions
Hi There,
The website link has been removed from the signature of that particular user's profile as flagged. Our moderators are doing the best to their abilities to tackle spam everyday.
So, I understand that there isn't any option for forum members to 'flag' a particular user's profile. So, am I correct in assuming that the issue arises once the spam comments have been moderated? The only thing I can suggest is that when you spot a spam post which needs to be moderated, use the flag option to highlight any signature or links which are potential spam links as well.
We're still running the changes we implied on the forums to see how successful they were as compared to earlier. I'll provide an update, once I've it.
Thanks
Abs
Message 32 of 126

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Abs@o2
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65548 flagged and still here.
The whole system of registration needs review.
I come here to help others but spend time flagging.
In the user list there are loads of dummy accounts with spam www links that never post that is why we need a red flag on user account page. Then we could flag the user for deletion I did a search like this memberlist.php?sk=f&sd=a then order as decending that shows users zero post count but with spam www links.
Also there is a trend in the spammers registration that if we could red flag before they come back to post the accounts would be deleted.
But I say it again O2 IE block non customers from registering.
Thanks for your help but as this is a customer forum why allow non customers to register.
If this situation continues I will have to say goodbye and request my account and all my helpfull posts be removed (what a loss to the true customers)
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 33 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I understand that there isn't any option for forum members to 'flag' a particular user's profile. So, am I correct in assuming that the issue arises once the spam comments have been moderated?

Correct. All it needs is a flag option against each registration then the Mods can decide if the registration warrants deletion. If that registrant is not deleted and goes on to post spam at least we can say "We told you so" slight_smile
But why not introduce the mandatory requirement to enter a valid UK mobile number as part of registration ? If I remember correctly, it's an mandatory requirement to order O2 broadband so why not the O2 forum ?
Message 34 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
Abs@o2
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65548 flagged and still here.

That is still there at 12:13pm and also this one which has already been flagged several times since the post time of 8:18am today
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65564
Message 35 of 126

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
It seems it was better when there was a regular O2 presence in the forum.
I'm getting bored now with flagging spam, so I won't bother any more.
O2 are obviously finding Twitter more important, where 90% of the answers given are telling people to phone CS, or refer them to the O2 site, or post here! :womanindifferent:
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 36 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yet again today, 121 new registrants in the last 24 hours and only 9 of those have posted.
The percentage is remaining the same whatever period is looked at so it is quite possible to draw the conclusion that approx. 85% - 90% of registrants are potentially spammers.

Now there is a change for today.
Only 66 new registrants with 6 of those having posted. Still running at around the 10% level but total number of registrations down significantly on previous days.
Message 38 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
An update on the ratio of actual posters to total registrants for the 7 days to 10:02pm (AlmoreTom) today :
12.03% of registrants have actually posted on the forum.
So there could be 731 potential spammers within the 831 actual registrants.
Message 39 of 126

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions
Oh deary me O2
#siwy
Message 40 of 126