Changes to the forum to tackle spam!

Abs
O2 Social Media Team
O2 Social Media Team
  • 1014 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 8 Solutions
Hi Everyone,
As with any forum, we have to tackle the issue of spam. While we have a team of moderators that look after spam removal, there are times where spam stays around longer than we'd like.
We know that spam makes the place look untidy and doesn't provide you with a great experience in our forums. So we're going to be trialling a number of changes that should reduce the amount of spam.
These changes will not affect any existing users so continue to use the forum as you normally would.
If you've got any questions or comments, please do leave them here for us!
Thanks
Abs
Message 1 of 126
125 REPLIES 125

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
I wonder who this could be?
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=149019 :womanindifferent:
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 21 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have seen posts from America & Spain requesting help on how to get started with O2 when they arrive in the country.
No doubt the number of similar valid requests will increase as we get nearer to the holiday season(s)

I did say "I would suggest this would affect a very small minority group and should be an acceptable inconvenience."
The big picture is more important than the very small minority that would be affected.....I'm sure O2 could forgo a few dozen (at most) foreign users that wish to have an O2 connection for a couple of weeks.

It would also affect some mobile and fixed broadband users as the data goes through proxies which are sometimes overseas. Or which are routed overseas at busy times.
It would also affect anyone using browsers like Opera Mini, Bolt, web'n'walk etc on Tablets or Mobiles as their transcoding proxies are based outside the UK.
There would be ways around this, by using the x-forwarded-for header, for example.
But I feel a less costly approach would be better.
Message 22 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
Been away for a week so I'm not sure how the spam levels have been but I'm still amazed that a registrant is still allowed to enter this type of information in their profile and the actual WWW link is displayed in Member listing, it's blatant backdoor advertising :-
Joined Fri May 06, 2011 10:58 pm
Total posts 0
Occupation
Joined Fri May 06, 2011 10:58 pm
Interests club penguin money maker
Message 23 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
Last edited by M0derator28 on Sun May 08, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited spam website link.

OK technically you are correct to edit my post but why not also edit the profile of "vosipaccosy" in the listing of Members which shows exactly what I posted ?
Message 24 of 126

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions
grin Kind of chicken and egg situation where by displaying the link you're actively promoting an inquiry. C'est la vie but hopefully Mr Moderator will have got the point.
Message 25 of 126

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
That is why I suggested the flag option in profiles earlier in this thread
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 26 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
:lol: Kind of chicken and egg situation where by displaying the link you're actively promoting an inquiry.

Not quite.....the registrant was the first to display the website url in their profile.
I have noticed though that if the information shown under the section of the profile headed "All about Username" is copied+pasted, it becomes a clickable link, whereas when it's in the profile it isn't clickable. That's why M0derator28 had to edit my post.
Message 27 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not going great yet, is it. :womanindifferent:
Message 28 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not going great yet, is it. :womanindifferent:

Until a fundamental change is made to the registration process, there will be no improvement. That is where the forum is failing.....right at the start of the procedure.
Message 29 of 126

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Well abs@O2 this is getting a joke sort it or you will lose a loyal poster I cannot be bothered to flag all this pointless spam take a look at O2 ie forums you have to be a customer and input your mobile number to be a user.
As you O2 call them CUSTOMER FORUMS make them so and the spam will stop
Please respond here
Adam one of your loyal customers offering help to others on the forums to save pointless calls to customer services.
Dm sent on twitter
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 30 of 126