Changes to the forum to tackle spam!

Abs
O2 Social Media Team
O2 Social Media Team
  • 1014 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 8 Solutions
Hi Everyone,
As with any forum, we have to tackle the issue of spam. While we have a team of moderators that look after spam removal, there are times where spam stays around longer than we'd like.
We know that spam makes the place look untidy and doesn't provide you with a great experience in our forums. So we're going to be trialling a number of changes that should reduce the amount of spam.
These changes will not affect any existing users so continue to use the forum as you normally would.
If you've got any questions or comments, please do leave them here for us!
Thanks
Abs
Message 1 of 126
125 REPLIES 125

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Well done Abs, lets hope your measures work ok and become a permanent feature. grin
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent news, thanks for listening. I hope it's a success. wink
Message 3 of 126

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Thanks Abs
Early days but this afternoon looks better
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Abs
Perhaps the following suggestions are not part of your "Campaign Against Spam" but perhaps could be considered :
1. Foreign-based IP addresses should be rejected during registration. Those customers who experience a problem while away from UK and wish to register would be unable. I would suggest this would affect a very small minority group and should be an acceptable inconvenience.
2. URLs and WWW links not to be added to the signature or to the profile. Useful links could be set up in a "sticky" eg oliver341's and npr's then added to with Moderators approval. I can't understand why O2 allows WWW entries in the user profile when the Terms specifically state that you must not advertise or solicit business.
3. As this is a pure "help" forum a username should be all that is required. If anybody within a post displays a URL link or uses the facility then that post is delayed while the Moderators approve it.
4. If IP addresses can be seen during registration and/or posting then why is there no mention in the Terms of multiple usernames not being allowed for the same individual ?
Also I see very little, if any, spam on Thinkbroadband and DigitalSpy forums, perhaps O2 should investigate why that is. If registration and posting is more controlled on those forums then it certainly doesn't slow up the processes.
Message 5 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
Abs,
Said it before and I'll say it again... install STOP FORUM SPAM - http://www.stopforumspam.com
I've got this running on a board I admin, and I get close to zero spammers.
Good luck, anyway slight_smile
Message 6 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
So we're going to be trialling a number of changes that should reduce the amount of spam.
"These changes will not affect any existing users so continue to use the forum as you normally would"
So as you dint say what they were and the fact they dont affect us, Im confused as to why the post was made. was it made to make us feel better that o2 are doing something??
Message 7 of 126

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Great news Abs and I hope the changes help to bring an end to the ridiculous amount of spam.
Not sure whether yourself or O2 have noticed but the forum seems to be suffering a knock-on effect with the numbers of genuine contributors diminishing over the last couple of weeks.
Good to see that it is the first time posters that you are concentrating on as that is where the real problem is.
Thanks for sharing Abs.
Message 8 of 126

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions
Good news Abs,
At times it was quite hard to see legit posts that were hidden among the spamfests!
Here's hoping the new measures are effective.
@RFTG
I would suggest that your idea of blocking foreign IP addresses would be a non-starter as today (well yesterday!) I have seen posts from America & Spain requesting help on how to get started with O2 when they arrive in the country.
No doubt the number of similar valid requests will increase as we get nearer to the holiday season(s)
#siwy
Message 9 of 126

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, the challenge is there this morning.
Message 10 of 126