cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell Sites - How far...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

How far does a cell site 'carry' a signal? For example could a 30metre cell site send a signal 6miles away? and would the phone be able to receive it?

Cheers and regards........
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there. Its either 30km or 30 miles, I'm always getting them mixed up so its one or the other.

Have you looked at 02's webmap to see what the coverage is like in your area? You can see the different coloured cell sites and it shows what they give such as 2g or 3g etc. http://www.webmap.o2.co.uk/

So long as the phone is compatable with the signal that is being sent out and it is in range then it will recive it. Obviously not including when you're in odd places, I can't get a signal for the life of me in my big Asda store, its like being in a bunker or something.
Message 2 of 6

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions
There are many versions of cell masts and all have a differennt in range. Depending on where you live, surroundings, weather and local interferance.

There are also other things to take into account.

Every mobile phone is different in receiving a signal.

No 2 masts are the same as each mast transmit a different power outage depending on location.

Also the frequency is another factor.
a mast that transmit on a 900mhz band will transmit longer distances than one on a 1800mhz. A 3g mast on 2100mhz again has a even shorter distance of travel than the 1800mhz one.

The average gsm mast is approx 35km, however in normal every day life its about 20km for a super mast, but again I would say that its a lot less than that.

More info can be found at the following site

http://www.mobilemastinfo.com/information/masts.htm

If you also need any more help or you have a location where you think you should have a good signal but dont, let me know and i will check the area for you.

you can pm you town if you want.

hope the info helps
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are many versions of cell masts and all have a differennt in range. Depending on where you live, surroundings, weather and local interferance.
There are also other things to take into account.
Every mobile phone is different in receiving a signal.
No 2 masts are the same as each mast transmit a different power outage depending on location.
Also the frequency is another factor.
a mast that transmit on a 900mhz band will transmit longer distances than one on a 1800mhz. A 3g mast on 2100mhz again has a even shorter distance of travel than the 1800mhz one.
The average gsm mast is approx 35km, however in normal every day life its about 20km for a super mast, but again I would say that its a lot less than that.
More info can be found at the following site
http://www.mobilemastinfo.com/information/masts.htm
If you also need any more help or you have a location where you think you should have a good signal but dont, let me know and i will check the area for you.
you can pm you town if you want.
hope the info helps

Hi !

Thanks for your reply.

I am having problems at YO151AU - it shows as standard coverage however there isn't even one bar! (2G)

Also the Stanley area of Wakefield is patchy fluctuating from half bars to nil! (2g)

3G is NON existent in any of these areas....

Please can you have a look into this?

Thank you and regards!
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're grossly overestimating the distance a mast can handle. About 5km is the distance you will get a proper service from a 2G mast. About 3km for a 3G mast. This doesn't take into account hills, trees, other buildings etc. blocking signal.
Message 5 of 6

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

You're grossly overestimating the distance a mast can handle. About 5km is the distance you will get a proper service from a 2G mast. About 3km for a 3G mast. This doesn't take into account hills, trees, other buildings etc. blocking signal.

My Quote was for a Super Mast and did mention that its normaly a lot less than that.

beecart
Do you have a town name or a postcode for Stanley Region?

Regarding YO15 1AU

this is the Flamborough region I I beleie that The reply is on thread http://customerforum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6979

But I have checked again and From what I can see, The nearest o2 mast to cover that region is in Bridlington.
There are 2 main o2 masts in bridlington and 1 mast on the a165 near bempton.
I dont beleive O2 have ok coverage in flamborough. I think the coverage is average and patchy as well.
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 6 of 6