cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't unlock - code fails

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to unlock my phone.  I need to move to BT becuase their coverage is much better where I need it.

The MyO2 "manage your device" page give a 8-digit PUK number.  I tried this but it didn't work.

I clicked the "unlock my device" link and and 2 days later an email came with another 8-digit code.  This didn't work either.  

Every time I try, the phone displays "Network Unlock request unsuccessful", and prompts for the code again.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the code wrong?

I've forwarded the email to mycare@o2mail.co.uk, I'll see what they come back with.

Message 1 of 68
67 REPLIES 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks MI5.

My situation is very slightly different as in I bought the phone privately but still brand new and in a sealed box so I was the 1st to activate.

I can't believe that 02 are so clueless and have basically knackered my phone which I wanted to use on another network which I have already taken out a contract with and unable to use now
Message 41 of 68

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

Sounds bad @Anonymous

What happened exactly?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 42 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable
Pretty much the same as the OP. I requested a unlock code from 02 and they said I would get it via text or email but nothing emerged.
I phoned 02 to ask what was going on but via their automated system I said "unlock phone to use on another network" and missed what was said but it read out a 8 digit code and I thought all was good. I entered the code with a new sim inserted but it didn't work so tried a few more times (not knowing I could freeze the phone)
I then phoned back and spoke to someone who gave me the correct and different code which didn't work either (already frozen I assume)
I've since found out that the first code was the PUK code.
I have also been told by 02 that the phone is now blocked/frozen and I should go to a samsung store and explain to them.... there isn't a samsung store anywhere near me nor do I think they would do much either.

I didn't get the phone from 02 but I bought it brand new and sealed from someone who did get it from 02.

I don't really know where I will stand as in a way it was my fault but I would say more so 02's fault for their crap automated system and not telling me that the unlock code if entered incorrectly more than 3 times would in essence ruin my phone.
Message 43 of 68

MI5
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Some phones, Sony in particular are stuffed once hard locked, but I have, in the past been able to recover Samsung phones. As long as nothing has changed with their file system on the S7 (I haven't played with one to say for sure) it should be recoverable by either Samsung or by a competent phone repair shop.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 44 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have done a lot of reading and a MCK code from 3rd party sites claim that will clear the block allowing a unlock.
They charge around £20.....

How would you suggest I move forward from here?

Thanks for your help btw
Message 45 of 68

MI5
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I'd pay the £20, hope it works and try and claim the £20 back from O2 for having a dodgy system in place.
It's either that or get a sim only deal from o2 wink

Currently using:
Message 46 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmmm not sure I'm following you with the later part of your reply.... sim only deal?
Message 47 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also if I didn't have such a good deal with 02 I would have binned them off long ago....

I get unlimited texts and calls and 5gb data for £11.20 per month
Message 48 of 68

MI5
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Ah sorry, I didn't think you had an o2 sim already.

Currently using:
Message 49 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes been with 02 for around 20 years but wanted to use this phone on another network which I have a contract with but now unable to use....
Message 50 of 68