cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't give a PAC code unless I top up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Last month I contacted o2 as my 24 month contract was coming to an end on the 26th of this month.

They were unable to offer me a good deal, and that I would no longer be entitled to the £10 loyalty discount that I had accumulated over the years.

I asked what my options were because I didnt want to contine to pay over the odds for a contrct that was being offered cheaper elsewhere.

I was told that I could go onto pay-as-you-go, and that I could do that then and there but the contract will continue to run until the 26th of this month when that sim would stop working and I was to simply put the new PAYG sim in .

Which is exactley what happened and the PAYG sim is working, I have been recieving calls and texts but can't call or text because I have not topped it up, as the intention was to find a better deal, which I have found.

Today I contacted o2 to request a PAC code and I'm being told that they cant give it to me unless I top up the PAYG sim by £10.

I explained that I will no longer be using the o2 sim and therefore will be wasting £10 as that credit will not be refunded to me once I use the PAC code.

I was told that is the only way I can get my PAC code.

How is this right?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you've never topped up the Pay & Go SIM, there may be a policy to disallow number porting from the account if it has never been topped up. What you could do is contact the Pay Monthly department to explain the situation fully - and see if they can arrange for you to get your PAC.

If there is a restriction against transferring numbers away from a new Pay & Go SIM, they probably should have told you about this before they moved your number to it. I'd check with Pay Monthly to see if they can help, otherwise contact the Pay & Go department to see if they will relent.

Quickest way to get an answer is to call the departments:
Pay Monthly: 0844 809 0202
Pay & Go: 0844 809 0222 (4445 from Pay & Go phone, 25p charge).

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you've never topped up the Pay & Go SIM, there may be a policy to disallow number porting from the account if it has never been topped up. What you could do is contact the Pay Monthly department to explain the situation fully - and see if they can arrange for you to get your PAC.

If there is a restriction against transferring numbers away from a new Pay & Go SIM, they probably should have told you about this before they moved your number to it. I'd check with Pay Monthly to see if they can help, otherwise contact the Pay & Go department to see if they will relent.

Quickest way to get an answer is to call the departments:
Pay Monthly: 0844 809 0202
Pay & Go: 0844 809 0222 (4445 from Pay & Go phone, 25p charge).

Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Anonymax and Leonard.
I'll post it here so that it might help others out in the same situation.
On this occasion it was resolved in my favour.
I had not topped up the PAYG sim because I didn't think I had and was not informed of this at the time I switched from contract sim to payg sim.
After talking to various people over 2 days and hours on the fone to them, being passed to different departments, I finally after insisting that I speak to a supervisor or manager got through to one.
After explaining my situation, to my surprise, she was so understanding and helpful that I almost wanted to stay with O2.
She looked through my contract account and saw when I had been in contact with them etc etc.
Within five minutes she had activated my payg sim and given me the pac code.
She did say that she is doing it as a goodwill gesture and that normally this should have been explained to you when I decided to go over to PAYG, that I would have to top up the sim to activate it, and the minimum top up is £10.
So to those people thinking of switching from Contract to PAYG, just beware.

Message 3 of 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Thanks for posting the information Gee. It certainly helps to know these things. As an aside, when I changed my wife's contract to P&G I couldn't view any allowance or tariff details in My O2.

When I spoke to customer service, they said it was because I hadn't topped it up since the transfer even though there was the initial £10 credit on there transferred from her contract.

Still haven't topped it up but now, some 5 months later everything is showing as it should. Don't know what this says about their policy of having to top up before they can do certain things with the account?

Message 4 of 4