Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Phones

YankeeDoodle
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Does more megapixels always mean a better camera?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144322 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@YankeeDoodle 

Not necessarily.

The quality of the camera sensor and lens play the biggest part.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

O2Tracey
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 103 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I've always been told the more megapixels means there is more quality in the pictures, if you print them off and enlarge them. If your uploading pictures they normally upload at the same quality no matter what your megapixels are, as they are compressed.
Message 3 of 6

O2Karl
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 285 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 24 Solutions

Hi @YankeeDoodle 

Having a higher megapixel can give you a better photo but there is more to it.

Finding an ideal camera on a device for yourself you have to ask what do you want from a camera? Will it be for snapshots while out and about with friends or for taking professional photos you intend to resize.

Will you want to save your files in a professional format such as RAW or would you be happy with the standard photo formats.

But today we have devices with multiple cameras and lenses, software (AI) to enhance the photos. It really depends on what device you are looking for, a 13MP would be ok for some if it meets there needs, some like to have the option of taking a shot with a quadruple-camera device. 

Sometimes you can buy a device with a camera which you will not use the features so it's really about what you want from a camera, not the megapixel.

Hope that helps.

signature
Message 4 of 6

YankeeDoodle
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Cheers that O2Karl!
I want a good phone with a good camera. I'm a guy who enjoys the perfect opportunity to snap a pic, whether out with my dog or my wife or maybe even the family too. I do quite often, get lucky with my photos... subject matter in good light, etc, then maybe... add a filter. I'm NOT a photographer, but I do appreciate great pictures. At the moment with the way "things" are, I don't want to spend a lot. I'd be happy with 3 year contract around £30 p/m. Any suggestions for phones?

Also, how does Google and Huiwai and some of these other relatively new brands compare with regards to phone & camera, to the big names like Samsung, Apple & Motorola?
Message 5 of 6

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
On the contrary, more megapixels can mean much worse camera.
Each pixel has a size and the larger the size, the more amount of light that pixel can gather for the image.
So a sensor with 12mp has pixel size much, much higher than a 64 or 108mp sensor as the size of these pixels is much smaller and will gather much less light.
End result in those cases is that in lower light, the high MP cameras churn out pictures that are noisy and messy.
They combat this by not outputting 64/108mp in low light/ auto modes, instead they use 4 pixels and turn it into 1 larger pixel. Works quite well, but requires heavy process work to merge the data from these pixels and smooth it out. So when you see pics from a 108mp Samsung S20 space zoom of the moon, and wonder why it looks so lacking in detail and mushy, it's because the 108mp sensor would output a picture that needed smoothing and noise reduction just to look bearable. The pixel size is just too small.
So the reality is, high MP can be better, but only in perfect scenarios, whereas a lower mp with larger pixel size, will look better in more situations.
Message 6 of 6