cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling UK from USA costs and best product

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

I'm due to travel to USA from 30 Apr - 6 May and wanted to be able to call home for 30 min each evening.  Ive been directed to Tu Go but this seems more than what I need. Im on a monthly tarriff (basic) and don't want to end up with an expensive bill when I get home. Im not techi so want a low cost call home option from USA to UK for a week.  Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks

Liz 

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

Unlock your phone if it isn't already and get a Three Pay & Go sim. You can call back to the UK just using the minutes you've bought with no roaming charges.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous One of our members @Bambino travels to the States frequently I think he actually uses Three 'Feel at home' package. I have mentioned him here so hopefully he will advise further...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

You could use a Three sim card if your phone is unlocked but actually TuGo is a good option and will use your UK allowances if you connect by wifi. Switch off mobile data and you won't incur any costs.

Quite apart from that you have so many ways to call and message these days, again by wifi and all free.

Skype, Messanger, Viber, Whatsapp, Line....many choices as long as the person you are cfalling has the matching app.

Message 3 of 10

Bambino
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

Unlock your phone if it isn't already and get a Three Pay & Go sim. You can call back to the UK just using the minutes you've bought with no roaming charges.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you much appreciated.  

Liz 

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all, firs time using chat option ... very impressed.  Off to investigate option now.

Liz 

Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi Liz...just so you know, this isn't actually Live Chat. Its the community forum and we are all customers like yourself... Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 10

Bambino
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

Live Chat????????????????????? We're miles better.Happy Dance

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27668 Solutions
I use a combination of Tugo (for calls and texts) and a local or Three sim card for data.
That way I am not restricted to wifi and can use my phone perfectly normally wherever and whenever I choose to.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 10