Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cables and adapters

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

It seems as though almost all of the new (Android) phones now have the new USB Type C connection instead of the old style micro USB (type C appears more round, while micro USB is more square).

As micro was the old standard, I have several of these leads in varying length, but most are about 30cm/1ft in length.

I am looking at getting a few longer leads (3-3.3 ft / 0.9-1m) to give a little more flexibility and reach from the charging point.

My question is thus: Would I be better buying leads that are USB Type C and getting an adapter for that, or would I be better buying micro USB leads with Type C adapters?

I have done the normal google search and come up with a few articles, but most are 1.5-2 years old and probably out of date.

Given that I will (probably) update my phone in Feb/March I think it would be better to get a Type C lead and an adapter but was wondering if anyone has any experience/recommendations in this area.

Many thanks for your time and opinions!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

And don't call her Shirley....LOL

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 11 of 22

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

And don't call her Shirley....LOL

No indeed...LOL Beginning to wish I hadn't posted anything now....Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 22

gmarkj
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
I was trying (failing) to point out that by now you would think that Cleo has picked apart the brains of the resident experts and had nothing else to learn.
Guess that is another nail in the coffin of the stand-up dream. Oh well, back to the spread-sheet...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 13 of 22

gmarkj
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
...and just to add, this is on course to become another hardware of the cable scenario...

Message 14 of 22

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 15 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
...and just to add, this is on course to become another hardware of the cable scenario...

I was going to mention hardware of the cable but thought no Cleo...this is a sensible thread, so just read and learn...Cat

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 22

gmarkj
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
It can't be that sensible: I started it and have (predictably) wandered rather off-topic.
In an attempt to recover, has anyone had any experience with wireless chargers? A large number of the new phones also support wireless charging but there is a wide spectrum of devices with various reviews and I was hoping for more advice...

Message 17 of 22

MI5
  • 144153 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Yes I can help there too.
But a decent make such as Belkin and make sure it supports fast charging protocols.
You can get one off Amazon for around £30.
The cheap ones (available for about a fiver) do work but you will be dead before your phone reaches 100%
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 22

a_hcir
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 133 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
The cheap ones (available for about a fiver) do work but you will be dead before your phone reaches 100%

I'd slightly disagree with you here.  I've got a bunch of cheap ones I bought from AliExpress (£1.56 each :-)) and they're awesome!  You are talking of about 5-6 hours for a full charge, but for the price and the simplicity I really can't complain. I have one at my desk, one on my bedside table and soon one for the living room.  The ones I've got use your old Micro USB cables as well...

The only pain is that because they're cheap and don't come with their own power supply, your computer or USB wall plug needs to deliver 1500mA or more current to get them working properly.  

Message 19 of 22

MI5
  • 144153 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Yeah, that’s the biggest problem for those used to plugging into your laptop to charge but your old phone charger should do the job.
How do you find the alignment with the phone on the cheap ones?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 22