Did you mean: 

Buying advice iPhone X vs XR

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hey guys.

As my contract (my German one) is ending next month, I have to decide what mobile to get next. Sure: It'll be an iPhone.

Now I searched on the hp of my network and saw the iPhone X is about the same upfront-price as the XR.

-The XS isn't an option as it's more than 600€.

So X is the old "prime" model. Is it better?

The XR seems not a big gap to XS (body, camera, screen) and even has a better battery.

Should I go for the X or XR?

As it's better for a discussion I will not name my favourite by now.

Cheers,

CC slight_smile

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Esim is like built into the phone ee in UK only work with the Iwatch not sure about the iPhone it basically slowed the phone down the update did
Message 11 of 18

ComaChameleon
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

First I thought "cooooool, 2 sims? So I can put my O2-UK sim into my main-phone"... But no. It has to stay in the 4S 😞

Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 12 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ComaChameleon I would go for XR
Better CPU
Bigger screen
Better performance
Dual sim (one nano sim and one esim)
- esim in uk for XS and XR at the moment only supported by EE, O2 will support next year. I love the esim because now I can use my EE esim and my O2 nano sim. Because you said Germany, Telekom and Vodafone support esim there. Then you can have your UK sim slight_smile

Face ID is just great, can’t go back to fingerprint. Once you get used to it you will be fine.

Message 13 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is my example...

7AF3CCF1-392A-45D2-BBB3-7389F20521F6.jpeg

Message 14 of 18

Bydandie
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 29 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The X is not "throttled".  Apple have a setting where the processor will be capped if you the phone experiences shutdowns due to battery capacity. If the battery has degraded that much, then you can pay for a replacement battery swap from Apple (currently £29), once the battery is back above the threshold, then the phone works as before.

Android manufacturers have already admitted that they restrict battery capacity as the battery ages (same tech, so the issue affects all mobile handsets).

Anyway, back to the question - unless you got a really good deal on the X (and OLED is really important to you) then I'd go for the Xr.  One thing to remember is that the phone is marginally larger, so try before you buy.

Message 15 of 18

ComaChameleon
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@ComaChameleonI would go for XR
Because you said Germany, Telekom and Vodafone support esim there. Then you can have your UK sim slight_smile

Face ID is just great, can’t go back to fingerprint. Once you get used to it you will be fine.

@ all

thank you guys!

I was at the Telekom store in our city and the girl there showed me the XR and (her personal X. Funny thing is, she works for Telekom and has O2 Ger herself :D) her X.

Noticed the increased size. But it wasn't that much more, so I think it'll be fine.

Price on my contract is 350€ upcost for XR and 399€ for the X. So I think the XR ist smarther in the end.

I need to ask about the esim. Will O2 UK support Esim on prepaid too later?

Maybe @EmilieT or @Marjo know anything about it.

As I already cut a sim into a nano-sim, I don't wanna try to cut it even shorter myself sweat_smile

@Anonymous

What does the P and S in front of the provider mean? Can you chose which number is taken for Whatsapp, Imessage, txt, calls?

Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Message 16 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ComaChameleon

Im aware that o2 will not support eSIM on PAYGO only Pay monthly and first haft 2019. 

Thats just initial of the name you choose for each line, it can be anything you want really. Would be easy for you to have the eSIM using Telekom and use your O2 UK sim

Message 17 of 18

nick3
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I don't think reviews are very objective in their assessments I have had a long line of iPhones and a string of Android ones too. I like the security/privicy of iOS but their LED screens are dire. My 8 Plus is just about big enough but it is not useable out of doors, nor visible in strong sunlight. Battery life is tolerable not good. By contrast my last Android HTC One M8 is still going strong and the screen, though similar technology, is useable out doors battery time is also tolerable. Sound is far better than Apple (I have a RR custom ROM) for my money the pre OLED Apple phones are vastly over priced and the OS has become captive of selfie-takers and anemoji users a generation living in a bubble. Apple once made a genuine 'eco system' where coumputers and phones, routers and NAS all talked the same or very similar language. Now even though you pay £k's for an iMac or Macbook Pro that is no longer the case ... all dumbed down.
Message 18 of 18