cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of O2 irresponsibility - Capping not available

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just received the great news that my daughter has run up a massive bill of texts because she went significantly over her limit. Being the account owner and bill payer, and looking at previous threads, it is so easy to say it is my responsibility to constantly monitor usage through apps. Think about it....I am a busy hardworking parent. I can't proactively monitor everything my kids do. Why wasn't I notified via email that my daughter's account was at it's limit and that it was racking up a huge bill? How can Tesco mobile offer a cap service on the O2 network and yet O2 cannot? Why?

Why did O2 allow my original tariff cost continue even though the contract had been fulfilled? Why did they not reduce the monthly payment automatically to just the SIM only deal?

Giving the line that it is the responsibility of the account holder just doesn't wash. It is a business plan of Corporates like O2 that know, if they keep quiet and put all the responsibility of account management on the end user, they will increase revenue while holding their clean hands up and saying "not my problem". So typical of Global Corps now. Buyer beware. Shame on you O2.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks to all for the advice, especially the gloating self-righteous ones who point out it is clearly written in the T&C's and that as the account owner I should monitor my daughter's usage or perhaps pay higher rates on PAYG or just pay for a more expensive tariff to have the privilege of unlimited usage.

The fact remains, regardless of the T&C's and the rest of it, O2 are not willing to do anything to prevent this daylight robbery from happening to innocent, busy, stupid or lazy people, of which you many have so kindly taken the time to point out that I belong to one of those categories.

If other network providers or their subsiduaries are able to provide caps and safety buffers for hardworking parents, why on earth are O2 blatantly refusing to do it? Because it is easier taking money from the innocent, busy, stupid and lazy idiots like me.

I feel sorry for all of you that may have felt good about your comments to me or somehow justified in informing me that it is my fault. You are sticking up for a multi-million pound Corporate who blatantly do not protect the consumer. In this day of technology and communication, charging 20p for every text over the limit is clearly outrageous, and shame on you all who stand by and let it happen and say that it is okay.

Message 11 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not daylight robbery & they are in fact allowed to charge for any outside charges & as I said previously they don't have to warn you because it's in the t&c you agreed & there is the myo2 app or desktop version to keep check. If you want to complain 

http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Good luck but o2 aren't in the wrong here 

Message 12 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No, your right. It's everyone else who is irresponsible for reading the T&C's of legally binding contracts that we sign, monitoring our kids usage and paying attention to what they do.
However, I also agree that it's much easier to do none of the above and blame someone else for my own shortcomings when something goes wrong!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 19

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

All comments here are by fellow customers who give their time to help and advise others. Of course you don't have to agree with or accept that advice. 

However, if you posted merely to rant, then job done. This thread may as well be closed now because we have explored all your options, of which none are acceptable to you. 

Message 14 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

You have perceived my comments as a rant perhaps through either a sincere lack of empathy, personal experience or just pure lack of interest. What I am asking for is actually very simple, for O2 to provide a low cost, good value capped tariff for families/children or an automated notification service to the account holder where limits are being approached or exceeded by any phone on the account holder's contract. It's that simple.

For example, my current bank offers me current accounts for my children up to the age of 18 which;

1. Cannot go overdrawn
  2. Provide an automated notification service (via text and email) to me as the parent when a defined limit of a linked account is reached

Therefore...I know I do not have to check their bank accounts regularly on an app (as has been suggested) nor will I be stung for a huge overdraft bill at the end of the month (as I just have been). I can rest assured that I am in control of my family’s finances through the services and products offered by that responsible provider.

It is therefore not beyond the wit of O2 to do the same for families....but they are choosing NOT to, which is irresponsible.  I know for a fact that I am not the first that has been financially stung by their kids accidently overrunning the limits purchased and unless there is more assistance offered by this provider, I certainly will not be the last parent to pay exorbitant rates for a child's mistake. So it is my duty to warn as many parents as possible of this risk with this provider.

My request is therefore very simple. If this is a forum that can actually assist me by applying pressure on O2 to help improve its service for busy parents like me rather than simply setting traps in T&C's or costly alternative tariffs, then my "rant", as you so eloquently put it, is still valid. If you are able to actually assist me in getting the message across to the decision makers of O2 and convincing them to change their business model, then you can congratulate yourself that you have benefited many busy, hard working parents like myself across the globe who thought that 500 texts per month would have been enough.

If, however, this is a forum which is not able to position or influence any service improvement within O2 product management and portfolio, then yes, by all means, patronise me and other parents by calling it a "rant" once more, then close the thread and pardon me for wasting your time. Clearly as someone who has the ability to post 51,469 comments on this forum (which unbelievably equates to a minimum of 107 full working days even working on one minute per comment!!!), you must to have a lot of time on your hands to assist.

So, the big question to the supporting community of O2, are you able to use your time to help by being a force for change and escalating this issue to protect poor parents like me, or will you acquiesce and close this thread? Let's see.

Message 15 of 19

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

It is therefore not beyond the wit of O2 to do the same for families....but they are choosing NOT to

And that is the salient point..........you did not need to contract with O2 for the supply of the service.

You chose O2.......they did not choose you.

Therefore you must play by O2's contract clauses until the contract expires then you select the best provider for your needs.

Just call it "lesson learned".

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 16 of 19

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I agree that O2 could introduce a capped tariff for those wanting or needing it. The whole point of any advice given is that O2 do not have such a tariff or any option to cap on any of their tariffs.

Hence the only viable alternatives can be given to you. 

Will O2 introduce this? Who knows? This community has no influence on those responsible for making business decisions so we can only advise on tariffs and facts as they stand. 

Message 17 of 19

Julie63
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
This is alarming. I have just renewed a contract with O2 for my daughters phone (i am the billpayer) and was soecifically told that it was capped and that she could not buy anything that could be added to the phone bill. When i checked her latest bill the are 2 charges of £2.79 for itunes. I was specifically reassured that she could not buy anything with her phone unless she used het debit card. Also she does not have an i phone so how come she apparently is able to buy itunes??
Message 18 of 19

MI5
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Julie63 wrote:
This is alarming. I have just renewed a contract with O2 for my daughters phone (i am the billpayer) and was soecifically told that it was capped and that she could not buy anything that could be added to the phone bill. When i checked her latest bill the are 2 charges of £2.79 for itunes. I was specifically reassured that she could not buy anything with her phone unless she used het debit card. Also she does not have an i phone so how come she apparently is able to buy itunes??

See your other post here @Julie63

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Charges-to-a-capped-contract/m-p/1173301

This post you have added to was first published prior to capped contracts being available on O2.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 19