cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of O2 irresponsibility - Capping not available

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just received the great news that my daughter has run up a massive bill of texts because she went significantly over her limit. Being the account owner and bill payer, and looking at previous threads, it is so easy to say it is my responsibility to constantly monitor usage through apps. Think about it....I am a busy hardworking parent. I can't proactively monitor everything my kids do. Why wasn't I notified via email that my daughter's account was at it's limit and that it was racking up a huge bill? How can Tesco mobile offer a cap service on the O2 network and yet O2 cannot? Why?

Why did O2 allow my original tariff cost continue even though the contract had been fulfilled? Why did they not reduce the monthly payment automatically to just the SIM only deal?

Giving the line that it is the responsibility of the account holder just doesn't wash. It is a business plan of Corporates like O2 that know, if they keep quiet and put all the responsibility of account management on the end user, they will increase revenue while holding their clean hands up and saying "not my problem". So typical of Global Corps now. Buyer beware. Shame on you O2.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All covered in the T&C's which you agreed to
http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

You agreed to be liable for any charges when you signed the contract. O2 aren't obligated to warn you. You must keep an eye on the account yourself as you are the holder. I suggest maybe keep checking the myo2 app to keep an eye on the allowances or get her a pay as you go tariff 

Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Or change tariff to get unlimited calls and txt then you just save to worry about the data Which is then capped
Message 4 of 19

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
@Anonymous Did you buy your daughters contract through O2 or a third party such as Carphone?

As O2 only sell the refresh tariffs now which mean once the handset has been paid off the monthly cost will be reduced accordingly so your only paying the airtime amount only, and at this stage you are free to leave with 30 days notice.

O2 are not the only network that don't incorporate useage caps. I would recommend if your contract is up (ie 24 months have passed) to either move your daughter to a network which will allow you to set a useage cap or change tariffs to one with unlimited texts, however if your daughter is texting shortcode numbers (competitions and the like) then these are not included in any allowance on any network so will always be chargable
Message 5 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous O2 do not cap tariffs at all

Message 6 of 19

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
It seems you're aware that you needed to keep an eye on this, but yet didn't. Unfortunately it's the responsibility you agreed to take on when signing the contract.

As for moving you to a SIM only deal, that's been covered by a previous commenter.

If it's an issue then moving to a provider that meets your needs is obviously the sensible thing to do as O2 don't cap contracts.
Message 7 of 19

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Definitely go for unlimited texts and minutes as data is automatically capped once the allowance has been used. It might be worth considering putting your daughter on P&G until she learns a bit about responsibility herself. It's difficult to blame kids but you need to teach her how to keep a check on her remaining allowance.

Send a blank text to 21202 free for remaining allowance.

Message 8 of 19

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Considering most (if not all) of O2's current refresh tariffs come with unlimited texts I have a feeling some (if not all) of the seen charges will be shortcode / competition charges which would occur on any tariff on any network
Message 9 of 19

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@PhoneChanger wrote:
Considering most (if not all) of O2's current refresh tariffs come with unlimited texts I have a feeling some (if not all) of the seen charges will be shortcode / competition charges which would occur on any tariff on any network

Sounds plausible.

Accidental MMS sending advice here, if that is the case https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 19