cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware Iphone Warranty is Shorter Than Contract

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have an Iphone, and the wi-fi has started playing up, I have been to the o2 shop and we have done the usual things:

A) take out the simm card
B) restore
c) reset newtwork setting
d) reset all settings

I still get "cannot scan for wireless network"

Just go off the phone from 02 customer help, they told me my options were that I as was I was out of Waranty

a) Apple would charge me for a repair
b) He would check to see if I could get an early upgrade (My contract runs out in October, they said they would give me a months grace)
c) I was told by the man on the phone My Best bet was to pay off my remaining months to 02 @ £35 / Month (3 Months)and then take out another 18 month contract

What a JOKE why would I want to pay £100 quid to cancel my contract then pay for another 18 months plus the upgrade cost of the phone.

I love my Iphone, but 02 have really upset me and I dont think I will be prepared to continue with them once my contract expires in October, if thats what they call customer services.

So beware - the Iphone os not that relaible and your phone goes out of warranty before your contract ends !!!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
its not O2's fault that Apple only give you a 12 month warranty!!!!! If you didnt want to pay £60 for the extended apple care then thats your own fault!
Message 2 of 8

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
its not O2's fault that Apple only give you a 12 month warranty!!!!! If you didnt want to pay £60 for the extended apple care then thats your own fault!

To be honest I dont actually remember being offered an extention to the warranty (I probably wouldnt have taken it anyway as I have never had a problem with a phone before) The point I was trying to make is that before people commit to an 18 month contract they should be aware that they may not be under warranty for the full period of contract.
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
When you say "done the usual things", is this on your own router or any free hotspot? It could be possible that your router is failing rather than the iphone.
The above poster, though harsh, is correct - though O2 are well within their contractual obligations to ask for payment of the remaining months to terminate a contract in order to get a new 3GS. Note that offer is being given to all iphone owners who want to upgrade to the new model and were within their contract term.

The problem is with hotspots in general, my wifi at home is fine, I have my laptops running off it no problem. The Iphone just wont search, It came back for a day last week and has stopped working again.

(I still suspect a software issue rather than a hardware issue)
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
You may want to look into this
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/tips-and-guides/article.html?in_article_id=487339&in_page_id=53954&in_advicepage_id=131

Thanks for the article is is very useful and I may use it to see if I can get anywhere with Apple who are my next point of call as O2 appear to be saying it is out of there hands, although my contract is with them)
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
You may want to look into this
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/tips-and-guides/article.html?in_article_id=487339&in_page_id=53954&in_advicepage_id=131

Thanks for the article is is very useful and I may use it to see if I can get anywhere with Apple who are my next point of call as O2 appear to be saying it is out of there hands, although my contract is with them)

Your contract for the provision of the goods is with O2 and not Apple - therefore it is their responsibility to deal with faulty merchandise that they sold to you. I suggest a letter to their complaints department outlining the issue.
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is with hotspots in general, my wifi at home is fine, I have my laptops running off it no problem. The Iphone just wont search, It came back for a day last week and has stopped working again.
(I still suspect a software issue rather than a hardware issue)

I'd partially agree with you there - not quite the same, but my laptop is exactly the same. It will pick up most hotspots but won't recognise my home router! That was before and after a windows re-image. Could be combination of both and finding the actual cause is one for Apple to look at. BTW, do you know what Apple would charge to look at the problem?

Just a bit of an update - I have been doing a bit more trawling through the internet and it seems that it might actually be a problem with the Version 3 Operating systems, The Apple formums have a lot on the subject it seems that my problem is quite common as is one where the phone just completely Greys out the Wi-fi & the Bluetooth options, the latter seems to be very common. Unfortuantly none of them seem to have a fix as of yet. I still need to get time to go to the apple store to see what they have to say.

The Apple Forums are here http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1141
Message 8 of 8