cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for using my phone to go online when i'm not.

Anonymous
Not applicable
hey guys, i just recently got my 5800 on pay montly contract and so far i'm enjoying it.
Recently i've setup my account for o2 online to check my allowance and billing from time to time.

Recently i have realised that i am being charged for going online using o2's wap service when i have never been online on my phone.
I had a look at my bill today online and have also found out i was charged yesterday afternoon for using 6k of data whcih is baffling.

I called up o2 today and i did tell them i did once use my 5800 to go online but i did use my own router to connect to the internet and that was a while ago, but i also asked them why i what and why i charged for yesterday and they just told me to wait for my bill to arrive.

I wondering if anyone can help me out here into where this charge is coming cause i really don't know where it's coming from.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Windows mobile phones normally have an icon in the top right to let you know when they are connected, Hook it up and check in the corner, it will even tell you how long it has been connected for.

As for the original problem, I dont think it was your time auto updating, When i had my HTC tytan it was on PAYG and had auto update which never charged me, What apps have you been using on your phone
Message 11 of 18

Anonymous
Level 9: Fired up
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
get the unlimited web bolt on , a bargain @ £7.50.
unlimited internet access so you can use all the services and not worry about getting charged.
Message 12 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would think that any decent phone (like most if not all Nokias do) would ask the user if they wanted to go online. There should be an option somewhere to select to go online only by asking you, instead of going online automatically on request (e.g. from an application).

The time auto-update shouldn't use data, it usually does it over the GSM/3G network using the standard signal if it contains that information.

Familiarise yourself with the data settings on your phone, as well as the icons that appear on the screen, so you know what they mean. Nokia phones usually have an icon that means 'data connection available and ready to use on request'. This icon disappears if you select the option to ask you every time it wants to connect (the option is called 'connect when necessary' as opposed to 'connect where available' - a bit of a vague wording if you ask me!).
Message 13 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
unlimited internet access so you can use all the services and not worry about getting charged.

Is unlimited web bolt on really unlimited?
I know that other networks such as T-mobile have a 1gb allowance with fair usuage policy.
Message 14 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would think that any decent phone (like most if not all Nokias do)

Ooh you're just asking to be flamed slight_smile

My HTC Windows Mobile phone is 10 times better than any Nokia I've had (7 of them). And it doesn't "ask" me to allow a web connection to carry out a task that I should already know about.

I don't see the point of having a phone which asks you every time it needs to connect to the web. If you're opening Opera, collecting email etc, it stands to reason you need to connect to the web to do this.

For apps that connect automatically to the web such as weather apps, if they had to wait for the user to accept a data connection, you might as well update everything manually.

On any decent phone wink there are options to turn data connections on and off, configure how the phone connects to the web and in which order of preference (PC, Wi-fi, HSDPA etc).

As long as the user reads their phone manual, and the instructions that come with any downloaded app, then the phone should never connect to the web without the user's knowledge.

SV
Message 15 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hehehehe, I guess my writing skills aren't what they used to be tongue

Perhaps I should have phrased it this way instead:

I would think any decent phone would ask the user if they want to go online (like most if not all Nokias do)

i.e. I didn't mean to imply that 'most if not all Nokias' are decent :-p, but only that they ask the user whether they want to connect.

And I know that perhaps for you and me it is obvious when a phone will want to connect and when not, however you have to consider the great numbers of users out there who are not as tech-savvy and to whom many of these things don't automatically 'stand to reason'.

It's them that have to be protected by having safety features like this.

Of course I totally agree that every user of modern hi-tech devices should always familiarise themselves with all their features and not take things for granted.
Message 16 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was just having a bit of fun with you DonDino, as it came across as "if your phone doesn't prompt you before going online it's rubbish" slight_smile

To be fair though, asking first time with an option not to ask again would be handy on my WM phone. As in "do you wish to connect / don't ask me again for this program".

My phone cost me a few pennies in connections when I got it and I tracked it down to HTC's weather app which was connecting automatically. Alright, it might not have broken the bank, but if I didn't check my online account every few days, which I do, then those pennies would have added up.

So I do sympathise with the Original Poster. Despite my comments yesterday. I've changed my mind - you shouldn't have to read instructions for every app as well as the phone - the default should be not to connect, so you have to activate automatic updates.

SV
Message 17 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is unlimited web bolt on really unlimited?
I know that other networks such as T-mobile have a 1gb allowance with fair usuage policy.

Yep, it's really unlimited.

I don't use the internet much on my phone so I personally don't have it.. at the moment I automatically (came with the phone - I think it comes with all phones bought from O2) have a £1 'bolt on' where I can everyday be charged no more than £1 a day for internet usage, unless I excessively use it in which O2'd contact me to stop or they charge me extra (with unlimited bolt on however you can excessively use as much as you like).
Message 18 of 18