cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for using my phone to go online when i'm not.

Anonymous
Not applicable
hey guys, i just recently got my 5800 on pay montly contract and so far i'm enjoying it.
Recently i've setup my account for o2 online to check my allowance and billing from time to time.

Recently i have realised that i am being charged for going online using o2's wap service when i have never been online on my phone.
I had a look at my bill today online and have also found out i was charged yesterday afternoon for using 6k of data whcih is baffling.

I called up o2 today and i did tell them i did once use my 5800 to go online but i did use my own router to connect to the internet and that was a while ago, but i also asked them why i what and why i charged for yesterday and they just told me to wait for my bill to arrive.

I wondering if anyone can help me out here into where this charge is coming cause i really don't know where it's coming from.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you got anything set up or switched on? At 6K likely candidates are email being pushed or polled and some sort of assisted GPS.
Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
well i did setup my email on my phone when i got it, but shouldn't it prompt me before it goes online?
Well i deleted my email account on my phone so im going to check tomorrow and see if theres been any charges for today.
Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok, i found out what the culprit, it's the gprs thats automatically sending data, and the data is going to o2 mobile web,i found from my call log.

Anyone know how to disable gprs on the 5800? :robotsurprised:
Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok, i found out what the culprit, it's the gprs thats automatically sending data, and the data is going to o2 mobile web,i found from my call log.

GPRS is how the data is sent, not what is sending the data.
Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
well i did setup my email on my phone when i got it, but shouldn't it prompt me before it goes online?

I have a Windows Mobile handset and it certainly doesn't notify me. I'm presuming most handsets won't.

What you need to do is check the settings of any app that might be connecting to the web via GPRS automatically.

In addition to DaveC's suggestions, my weather app. used to update / poll every few hours.

SV
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can disable GPRS by putting the phone in "flight mode" but I don't think you really want to do that. wink
Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
was wondering, i have my clock to auto set, technically that has to go online inorder to change the time, do you think that might be charging me??
Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, more than likely. You can presumably take off the auto update or there may be a setting to update only when you're connected to your PC.

SV
Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you don't want use of GPRS just delete the access points on your phone!
Message 10 of 18