cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be warned if you get a call from O2 'customer services'

Anonymous
Not applicable
This morning I got a call from someone obviously overseas (with a strong accent) telling me they were from O2 Customer Services and checking to see that I was on the right tariff and getting all the discounts I am entitled to.

They seemed to know my name and company and some of my address details but checked others with me as if they were basic checks. Only now do I realise they were leading me to tell them more than they knew. Right at the end of the 'conversation' - which was turning bizarre and stilted - the woman said 'A senior consultant will call you in a bit. And just to let you know, we're an indepdendent company doing this for all the mobile phone operators.'

Sure enough, someone called me later (from 01952 211670) saying they were from Excel Communications. I told him they had set out to deceive me that they were from O2. Oh no, they wouldn't do that, he said. Well it's clearly in your company's script, I said. Couldn't possibly be, he answered, but he would check on the recording. Anyway, did I want to look at special offers he could arrange for me? No thank you, I said, I don't do business with companies that start off by deceiving me, and please take me off your lists.

He couldn't have got off the phone more quickly and curtly.

Looking up Excel Communications on the web, it seems they're a giant international pyramid selling operation.

Hang up on these shysters unless you want to feel grubby and cheated like me. 😞
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Here's a useful website where you can check phone numbers. Putting a search on that number shows that it is Excel Communications but you're right...hang up!

Who Calls Me

Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Steve!
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
A good way is often they will say "Hello Mr. X, I'm calling on behalf of your o2 account..." or something to that effect, its said in a way to imply they are from o2 but when you say something they can say "oh we never said we were from o2, just phoning about it".
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Those people are just trying to make some sales - They are actually trying to make some cold calls...Nah, no one should pay attention to them...Just ignore them as they can get your information by paying someone to get potential customer's information. Remember, with online 118 800.com, anyone can pay a small fee for someone's information. Well, where is the privacy when we need one? How could the company who is offering such service CAN promise that they will not release mobile numbers of children to other people?
Message 5 of 5