Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Astonishing situation

LonghamRob
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I dont use my phone much so my monthly bill is £11.00 something. 

Last month it was £15.00 something so I looked at my calls only to find a premium rate phone number on their costing around £4.00. 

I avoid these like the plague so I Googled the number to trace to who this call was made and find how I must have been tricked into ringing them. It does happen. A well known Karting track company do this when you book anything with them but their number is plastered all over Google (with comments) so tracing the number was not a problem.  Once bitten.......

This number is different. It is 0844 5401041. 

My first call was to Ofcom who confirmed it was a 'service number' but did have any way of knowing whose it was. I then contact o2 via their live chat who confirmed the same but who also were not able to tell me who owned this number.

Following a second live chat the cost was refunded in full so my grieveance stops there but I am still left bemused why neither party had no idea to who the number was registered and why this number has been 'cleaned up' on Google.

Some 'who called me' type search engines are recording 800+ visits yet not one has a name of the (assumed) company next to it.  

I can type in my own home phone number which I gave up 18 months ago and the previous owner of the number comes up from 11 years ago.

I would rather have absorbed the £4.00 loss so I knew how I was duped in the first place.

Anybody else had this??

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@LonghamRobFor future reference please check out this thread

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

Edited to add...you can also ring customer services and have these bars placed on your account. It will stop this happening again..

• Bar all Direct to Bill Debits
  • Premium Bar (calls to premium numbers, 090, 070 etc.)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

Andrew_H
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 14 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've just called it, and that number is for Sky customer service.  O2 won't have a list of all 08* numbers and who they are registered to.

I don't understand how you were tricked into ringing this number? 

Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Andrew_H wrote:

I've just called it, and that number is for Sky customer service.  O2 won't have a list of all 08* numbers and who they are registered to.

Yet Google is showing Sky as 0333 759 1018?

A bit strange as I have Sky and it used to be an 08 number but isn't now...In fact if I dial the old number it redirects me to the one shown above. A weird one for sure.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

Andrew_H
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 14 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I think we need more detail as to why the OP thinks they were tricked into dialling the 08* number for Sky.  They must have got the number from somewhere in order to dial it.

In any case, think it was good of O2 to refund the charge.

Message 5 of 8

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Andrew_H wrote:

Yet Google is showing Sky as 0333 759 1018?

A bit strange as I have Sky and it used to be an 08 number but isn't now...In fact if I dial the old number it redirects me to the one shown above. A weird one for sure.

I have Sky and just checked my phone and the number in my contacts for Sky is 0800 151 2747 and its correct i only rang them 8th July to haggle for new broadband contract. Which i got wink 

Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Poppysmum I definitely was redirected to the 03 one when I rang a couple of weeks ago. Mind you they are all free now for me. I have a BT landline.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
There are probably 100's of contact numbers for Sky and absolutely no need to call a chargeable number.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 8