cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple iPad Pro - Your going to need bigger hands

Anonymous
Not applicable

As a self-confessed Apple fan, this is going to be a difficult review to write without being unbiased. With that being said, lets get right to it.

The Box

Firstly, the box. In typical Apple fashion, the box is very understated. Using as little packaging as possible allows them to promote their environmental credentials (I presume). As is typical, you have the USB/Lightening cable, plug adapter, the usual pamphlets and of course, the tablet. So far, nothing noteworthy.

iPad Pro Box.JPGiPad Pro Innards.JPG

Design

The first thing you’ll notice when taking the iPad Pro out of the box is the sheer size of the beast. I used/owned a lot of tablets but nothing compares to the size of this. This tablet is massive. The screen alone is 12.9 inches and that does not include the bezel surrounding it. The picture below shows it next to a pad of A4 paper. The second thing you’ll notice is how thin it is. I was surprised by this. I expected it to be thicker.

As you expect with all Apple products, the build quality is second to none. The iPad Pro has a strong aluminium build which immensely satisfies the eyes. Once again, I was surprised to find how light it felt considering its size. This is not to say that you could hold it all day and not notice. I found that long periods of time will result in aching arms.

iPad Pro.JPGPaper.JPG

First boot

There is nothing new here. It is atypical Apple.

Screen

The 12.9’ retina display produces a satisfying 2732x20148 ppi. It is a wonderful screen to behold. With the iOS9 split screen capabilities, you can have two apps open side by side with each producing the same resolution as the iPad Air.

Games also look epic on the tablet. The picture is crisp and detailed and fully immersive. The picture below is of The Room Three, the latest release by Fireproof Games and is arguably the standard bearer is game design at the moment.

The Room Three.jpgThe Room Three (2)Split Screen.PNG

Power

Here is where the iPad Pro really comes into its own. It is truly a powerhouse. Apple have thrown in a A9X CPU and coupled that with 4GB of RAM. I could not honestly slow it down. I opened numerous apps on the device at the same time and there was no hint of lag.

The battery will last all day if used conservatively. However, expect to charge this as often as your phone if it is used aggressively.

Sound

Apple have really stepped up with the speaker system on the iPad Pro. There are four speakers in the tablet and they produce a really crisp sound. Apple have also prided themselves on their support for music but in my opinion, this is their first device that truly excites me when listening to music without headphones.

Camera

The tablet comes equipped with a 8MP iSight rear camera and a 1.2MP FaceTime HD front camera.

The quality of the photos are the same as what you would find on a iPhone 6 in my opinion. However, I would argue that anyone who uses the rear camera on a device of this size needs to be physically restrained immediately.

Conclusion

So far so good then. I would have you believe my bias for Apple products has been un-waived. However, you would be wrong.

Don’t get me wrong, the iPad Pro is a fantastic tablet. The screen is wonderful, the build is amazing. But there is something missing. At the end of the day, it is still just an iPad and it still just runs iOS.

For the creatives among us, the Apple Pencil and the iPad Pro coupled together will make this a truly fantastic device. The Adobe suite will work flawlessly and hours of work will get done. But I am not one of them.

For the budding writers out there, the keyboard accessory will make add the extra element of portability some need. But I am not one of them.

For a start, the keyboard is a must if you are going to own this tablet. But as an expensive optional extra, I cant warrant the outlay when I have a perfectly capable laptop sitting beside it.

Also, the fact that it runs iOS really takes away what could be, in my opinion, a MacBook killer. I find no logic in this.

Therefore, the iPad Pro will be returned. It is a sad day as I really want to love this product. But I can’t. If I had to choose a tablet/hybrid at the moment, I would be making my way to the Microsoft Store.

Please let me know if you have any questions, I’ll be happy to try and answer them.

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

What a great review ... I'm the forum's regular tech novice ... I appreciated the easy to understand use of English ... I liked the funny about using the backwards facing camera ... you are ovviously well knowledgeable about your 'tech stuff' ... & I very much appreciate your post layout, presentation counts & it makes it easier to read

Its a great thread ... I'm all kudo'd out for today ... been excercising my right index finger on ... @viridis going to AA meetings ... LOL  ... lots of funnies in the thread ... I shall be excercising my right finger tomorrow for kudos purposes, you understand, when I get the function back 

Message 31 of 33

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 32 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awwwww @jonsie I've given you a Big One heart

Message 33 of 33