Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple IOS Vers Android Vers New Windows 8

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Well as most of you know, in November I was at a O2 speed rating session in London and one thing that I was really impressed with was Windows 8 on the HTC 8X.

Now I said that I was going to write a review on all 3 operating systems, but I've sort of held of until now as I wanted to really get a feel for Windows 8 and was it just that I fell in Love with it on that night.

I'm lucky enough to and have owned Many Android and Iphones and even though one of my friends own a Lumia 800, I've never really played with and Windows 8 phones or really played with any Windows phones at great length.

So let me begin.

Android

Good:

I've always liked that Android is free and you can do what ever you like with it pretty much. I like that you are able to customise the phone, have a nice home screen with weather and time etc and the phone feels different to every one else's. Apps are plentiful too.

Bad:

Too many different versions of Android that has caused inconsistencies (Fragmented) with handsets and manufactures, Some apps work and some don't, depending on which version you have. Android apps are also more prone to malware / Viruses. I've also find because every manufacture does something different, its become hard to locate just the basic menus  and then there can be too many menus for you to choose from. 

Apple IOS

Good:

I really do like Apple IOS and the easiest thing for me to say that it just works. Apps flow and integrate with each other and everything is easy to use and navigate to. Apps are plentiful and general a better feel and have quality to them. Apps mostly work through out the IOS range and Apple seem more consistent with their updates than most manufacturers. Apple lock their iPhones down to protect themselves and customers from Bad apps (Although some sneak through like Apple Maps lol). IOS flows and never feels slow and unresponsive too. Easiest way I can describe IOS is It just works.

Bad:

IOS can be in some parts locked down too much. No real home screen and not much in the customisable department. IOS I feel has now started to show its age and need a little bit of a makeover.

Windows 8 (Mobile phone version)

Good:

I instantly gelled with Windows 8 and since the HTC 8X. I've been lucky to play with Nokias Windows 8 version for many hours and now one of my friends owns a HTC 8X been able to really see if I like the operating system and I do. It feels fresh, modern and looks great. All the phones I use were fast and never faltered once. Integration from what I could see between apps were good (Not at good as IOS) but they were good. A Few quirks that need to be improved on, but I was just able to pick the phone up and with out knowing where I was going was able to do what I wanted to do. Menus are logical and the phone is easy to understand. I really cant praise Windows 8 enough and Even though I own a iphone 5. If it was my first smartphone and didn't want a iPhone, then this for me would be at the top of my list.

Bad:

Apps are few and far between, however its still in early stages and I'm hoping that they will get more and better. Apps also seem more expensive than the other 2 operating systems.

I'm also worried that if Microsoft don't push the phone in the correct manner, then they wont flog it to the current Apple IOS and Android fans out there.

Now this is only a brief view of all 3 Operating systems, but Microsoft Windows 8 has done a lot and impressed me, however there are a lot of Android and Apple users out there and have they done enough to impress them?

Is there room for 3 operating systems. Yes I think there is. Every body has a different niche in life and its that the good thing, however If Microsoft and manufactures don't push it right then it will be just never take of. Also the people that create the apps also need to be on board as well. Pricing is another problem. People are willing to buy things, but if apps are cheaper and more available on one platform than the other, then people will start to move to other platforms when the time comes to upgrade.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@darrengf yet another good post as usual

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 12

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

cheers,  your making me blush lolSmiley Embarassed

Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 3 of 12

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

Great review. I Defiantly agree I am more than impressed with the windows offering.

I'm actually seriously considering straying from iOS now:)

Considering I only use windows on desktop as a last resort its Defiantly taken my fancy.

However I wonder at the malware/virus aspect whether they'll port as easily to the Phone variant. (Time will tell)

EDIT: I love that auto correct believes everytime you write the word "phone" you really meant "iPhone" inbuilt advertising?:)

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 4 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Good post Darren, still waiting for my first experience of Windows phones but a nice fair review there.

Message 5 of 12

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Very true Liquid.

Im hoping that Microsoft has thought of this for Malware / Viruses

Oh I never noticed the iPhone / Phone auto bit lol. Ill re edit it

Thanks Jonsie. I ve got to admit that I am impressed with it, just worried that its not advertised and pushed right.

Message 6 of 12

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Oo I didn't notice it in your post it was only my own it was mucking around with.

I worry about the malware mostly because of how easily windows appears to be infected normally. I'm just hoping its not the case of a script being ported to the phone and acts the same.

I'd be very interested to see a side by side of desktop windows 8 and the mobile variant, I wonder if its just a prettier GUI.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 7 of 12

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Its really strange that you said that Liquid, Ive not fallen in Love with Windows 8 Desktop version. Infact its not what i want, I dont have a touch screen and yes it looks fancy, it just doesnt excite me. I just want a laptop to siwtch on and ease of use and Windows 7 just works and for me that is what I want.

However for a Mobile phone, I want more and Windows 8 Mobile does offer this.

Message 8 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Another top post, well done Darren! Smiley LOL

If you use Twitter they keep telling you the various features of Window Phone on there, might be of interest to anyone wanting to know more:

https://twitter.com/windowsphone

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 9 of 12

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I "aquired" windows 8 desktop and was woefully unimpressed with its offerings.

It seems to be relying too much on the pretty bits than actual new functionality. At best it feels like a graphics update not a OS upgrade.

I love the MIT professor describing it "a great present for someone you hate"

I run windows 7 when I have to. Since xp lost support its the obvious winner.

Touch screen on desktops appear to be rather counterproductive to a physical input in my opinion.

There's I'd definatly something orginal about the mobile variant it just feels right. Only way I can describe it.

Message 10 of 12