Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling 4G performance in Central London today

Reason077
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Very poor performance on O2's 4G network today in Central London along the A10 Bishopsgate, near Liverpool Street station. Internet keeps dropping out and is virtually unusable.

We're accustomed to regular poor data performance on O2's 3G network, but I usually get great performance on 4G. Is O2's state-of-the-art 4G network already getting saturated in this area?! Hope this is a one-off.

IMG_1390.PNG

IMG_1392.PNG

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyone overloading the network doing speedtests haha 😛

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
4G "shouldn't" suffer congestion in the same way as 3G does but I guess it all depends on the quality of the fibre backhaul system......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Something sadly amiss with that speedtest though.....

Let's hope it's temporary.

Message 5 of 7

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Reason077 ,

Welcome back to the community.

Have you run any other speed test since you started this thread? Hopefully it was a very temporary issues, but do update us on how you get on. If its no different, I'll see if i can find any info out for you.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
When fibre was launched it was meant to be virtually bomb proof in terms of the future.

But then mobile started going through as well as usual broadband. Then tv, film and music downloads. Then m2m and machines talking to each other.

Fibre backhaul is essential but not unlimited. Watch for BT, Virgin and Cable and Wireless (owned by Voda) looking at how to improve things.

In practice it isn't usually the fibre, it is the computers and servers that are struggling.
Message 7 of 7