Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another upgrade scam - delivery interception

Hogs
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

A relative suddenly received texts from O2 yesterday thanking them for upgrading their phone, followed by another this morning confirming that the new phone would be delivered today.   Phoned O2 to say that this had not been requested and they said they would cancel the upgrade and notify the courier not to deliver.   They obviously didn't manage to do this.   A while before the delivery time we noticed a guy hanging around outside,  then a courier arrived.  By the time we got to the door he was explaining to the courier that the package should be given to him.  I don't know what the courier would have done if we hadn't intervened, I hope he wouldn't have handed it over.  This is a a worrying scam, not least because we have no idea how the scammers got hold of the O2 account details and managed to hack in to place the order.  Passwords changed now obviously but any suggestions as to how this could have happened?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

No idea how this happened @Hogs , though it should be reported asap.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/fraud-and-phishing-advice

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I will also mention our community managers here and they can look into it for you @Marjo @Martin-O2 @EmilieT 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi @Hogs 

Thank you for posting your experience, keeps everyone aware

of the scams but most worrying is how it was able to happen.

I hope you get the answer you are looking for.

Glad that you were able to avert this scam, very well done.

Best wishes 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

This is a far bigger problem than the odd ones we see on here. All our details have been sold on, making these type of scams easy enough for those clever scammers to intercept parcels and reroute them overseas.

Message 4 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @Cleoriff  and thanks for flagging this one @Hogs . As mentioned above it's important that your relative reports this directly to O2 as it was related to their account information. 

I'm happy to help with this so if you want to drop me a message with the details please go a head. I'll report the scam either way to the team. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Martin-O2 

As @jonsie  said, this is bigger than any scam we have seen on here before. Really worrying actually. worried

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

It seems to be a new tactic @Cleoriff . I saw something similar on the news recently. I've passed this up the chain already and will do so with more detail if @Hogs would like to escalate through the community. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 10

Hogs
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks all.  This has already been reported to O2 as well as to the police and I believe that it's now being looked at by the O2 fraud team.  I think the courier companies used by O2 also need to be made aware of this as they are the people who would be intercepted.

Message 8 of 10

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

You are absolutely right about the couriers @Hogs 

they can be very careless with signatures etc.

should be better training.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 9 of 10

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Mad makes you think how did they do it
Message 10 of 10