Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accelerating 4G coverage in remote area

iggeddes58
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I live in the country near Inverness, and struggle to get a 2G signal (and have rubbish broadband via OpenReach cables, installed during the last ice age...). Can anyone advise me how to put pressure on O2 to accelerate the delivery of 4G to our area? Then I can use 4G for calling etc, but also to replace above broadband...

I know this is a commercial decision, and as there are not so many houses around, we'll be back of the queue, but I'm trying to change this!

Many thanks,

Iain

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

O2 have their own schedule for 4G rollout but unfortunately they won't let the very people who rely on them in on the secret. It's highly sort after intelligence but even customer service are kept out of the loop. Perhaps an email to the CEOs office may get you an answer. Unfortunately we mere fellow customers aren't able to assist you.

Message 2 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144185 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Good luck wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 4

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

It might not be any help but I suddenly discovered 4G in my area by accident. In a power cut of all things! Officially a mast was updated in my area the other month but another one was done last year which I could pick up. Did exactly what you want to do and have used 4G for my main broadband for over a year now. If you can get some PAYG sims and a sim-free phone, it could be a worthwhile check rather than wait for o2.

Also you might want to investigate if Vodafone are mast sharing or not as they may have done theirs already. Same goes for the other networks but I suspect it will be coverage around towns and the outside of town Tesco store is about as far it goes for them.  BTW, Vodafone are oddly faster than o2 for 4G speeds in both directions so you can guess who I've gone to. 

Message 4 of 4