Did you mean: 

5G is coming to O2 in October 2019!

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
Who is excited about this?
I've been looking forward to 5G since it was announced.

I know I won't get to use it this year but I can't wait until 5G is as widespread as what 4G is now! I'm looking forward to the bigger network capacity in busy places and the blazing fast speeds!

Who is going to be purchasing their first O2 5G handset and going to be testing it out on the launch day? I'd be interested to know your feedback!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
@SamsungFanBoy I think for me it all depends on how much extra it costs for the airtime plan, and sadly I doubt I will be joining up until the devices come down in price / have a wider selection (the S10 5G is simply too big for my likings).

Also, since Manchester isn't in the first set of locations I certainly won't be a day 1 person.

There was an interesting video posted online not long ago when EE started up and it was really interesting to see that standing on one street corner gave you 5G, yet 10 steps further and it was only 4G, the coverage is so localised and patchy at the moment.

Hopefully, by O2 not launching till later this year they will have rolled out more widespread coverage in the areas they are covering first
Message 2 of 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@SamsungFanBoy 

I can understand some people being excited, although I'm not really bothered. I've never had a problem with 4G on my phone ( or even 3G when I was in Spain)

It's an additional expense to buy a 5G phone on the off chance you will get a 5G signal wherever you go until it's fully rolled out.

So for me I will change my phone when it's needed (Note 8 currently) and I will go for a 5G device at that time

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 7

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I won't be rushing out to buy a 5G phone @SamsungFanBoy. For a start I'm very happy with my current phone and like @Cleoriff get good 4G coverage. I will wait till all the kinks are ironed out and there are a better selection of 5G phones before I would even consider switching. I'm quite happy to wait until my contract is due for renewal in a couple of years, to be honest.

By the time I'm ready to upgrade 5G should be working like a dream and not just in London where I live but throughout the country, hopefully. Though I imagine considering how long it took O2 to roll out 4G, I won't hold my breath for countrywide 5G coverage in a couple of years.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Nowadays neither I nor my brain is capable of doing anything fast so I'm not too excited.... 

I'm going to hell methinks.... 

Message 5 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions
I think o2 are too far behind on 5G, and to be honest, although i have a soft spot for o2, i think 3 and Voda have stolen a march on plans offered.. Unlimited 5G Speed, Data, text and minutes is only £30 a month...
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having been interested in mobile networks since I got my first phone nearly 20 years ago I've seen the hype stirred by network equipment manufacturers (Nokia, Samsung, Ericsson and others) based on increased capacity and new services, which they also sell handsets to utilise.

Networks buy and deploy the new kit and market heavily to get a return on investment quickly to cover the costs of the new kit, move customers across and due to the increased loading customers complain they aren't consistently getting the speed or quality they've been promised and so the cycle starts anew albeit it can take 5-10 years for standards to emerge and be ratified.

I'm not rushing to replace my phone just because the new one will have 5G.

If you have the interest and have some serious time to kill, have a look at the following sites that give you access to the standards, both existing and under consideration but be warned, this material maybe drier than your garden after a heatwave.

https://www.3gpp.org/

https://www.etsi.org/

Message 7 of 7