10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bambino

Thanks for the info re 5G phones.

Not sure they would be of any use to O2 customers until they provide us with 5G network capacity though?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

There probably won't be much use for it on any UK network for some time @Cleoriff, but they have to build the technology to stay ahead of the game. This article is interesting. It tells how far along countries are in 5G development. Looks like EE will be first in the UK. 

https://www.lifewire.com/5g-availability-world-4156244

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I've just checked that article @Bambino

Interesting that EE and then Vodafone will be leading the way THIS year, though all it says about O2 is this:

O2 is looking at a 5G network, too, but haven't announced when one will be available. They have, however, tested data transfers Using led lights, which they say is a stepping stone to prepare their network for a 5G launch.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 11

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Very interesting, thanks for sharing @Bambino!

@Cleoriff wrote:

I've just checked that article @Bambino

Interesting that EE and then Vodafone will be leading the way THIS year, though all it says about O2 is this:

O2 is looking at a 5G network, too, but haven't announced when one will be available. They have, however, tested data transfers Using led lights, which they say is a stepping stone to prepare their network for a 5G launch.

Just to add to that @Cleoriff, you can find here and here two articles that talk a bit more about the work in progress to ensure we’re geared up to provide our customers an enhanced and seamless experience as the technology evolves slight_smile  

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT

That's good to hear. wink

I'm not sure I would be that interested in all honesty. It means I would have to change phones and I am quite happy with the one I've got smiling

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 11

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

5G is certainly where the future lies and when EE say they will be first in the UK, this will be a limited roll out in the capital. It will be a lot longer than that before there is a national 5g network in place. 

They havent even finished rolling out 4G yet!

Message 7 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

EE have named the first 16 cities where they will roll out 5G

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/11/ee-name-first-16-uk-cities-for-its-2019-commercial-5g-...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 11

jezza1234
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

EE have named the first 16 cities where they will roll out 5G

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/11/ee-name-first-16-uk-cities-for-its-2019-commercial-5g-...

Naming them and actually doing it are 2 different things.

I work for a 4g voice device manufacturer and in my experience one can always add at least 18 month onto any network providers promises scream rofl rofl

More info

Message 9 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Oh that's true. It just makes them look better. We were promised 4G a year before we actually got it!!

PS. All I said was EE had named them...didn't say when it would happen though...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 11