Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Speeds

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

So tonight I had an update for my TomTom on my phone and thought it would be a great time to download the Uk and Ireland Maps on all devices with different networks. Only network I didn't use was three, but the sim is on the way.

so my devices were

iPhone 7+ on o2

Wiley Fox Swift2+ on Vodafone and BT Mobile

iPad on BT Infinity

iPhone 5S on EE PAYG

Now EE Payg and BT mobile are limited only to 30Mbps download

Vodafone and O2 masts have recently been upgraded but only to single Carrier for 4G. So there is no Carrier Agregation available even for EE as well.

So the Uk file for Apple devices was 831.3MB

Android was 793MB

now I know lots of things can affect this test.  But everything was done in the same location at similar time. With in 5 mins of each other.  Also all the masts share the same location.

BT Infinity took. 2 Mins 29 seconds. Which is 5.58Mb per second

Vodafone took 3 mins 8 secs. Which is 4.21Mb per second

O2 took 3 mins 44 Secs which is 3.71Mb per second

EE took 4 mins 17 secs which is 3.23Mb per second

BT mob 4 mins 32 secs which is 3.05Mb per second.

now like I said. This is not saying one is better than the other and all phones are different.  But I can see the improvements both o2 and Voda has made in my area.  I appreciate EE is caped at 30Mb and I can tell you I've seen it a hell of a lot higher here, but it's nice to see decent speeds on both Voda and o2. 

Speed Test just after 

Vodafone 49.20 DL, 22.70 UL

O2 46.07 DL, 22.94 UL

Pretty decent I think.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Impressive testing @darrengf! Thanks for posting that. grin Very interesting read. We can pass on the feedback to O2! slight_smile

Out of curiosity, what do you think of the wiley fox phone? Cat Happy

Message 2 of 6

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@Marjo

If im totally honest. I love the Wileyfox phone.  I never thought I would. I'm a massive iPhone fan and use my iPhone 7+'all the time, but I also use my wileyfox as a modem and because its dual sim I'm pretty much covered everywhere on the other networks.

very very impressed love the software as it's pretty stock and battery life isn't bad.

i may do a review on it in next couple of weeks with the more use I use it

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 3 of 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

I think I told  you about nil network coverage in the North Manchester General Hospital. So fed up that I got an EE sim for the dual sim phone I'm using to see what their coverage is like. 

So first, O2 in the ward : no connection at all. 

Screenshot_20170608-122446.png

Outside the other day : happy enough with the 4G though it's fairly poor which indicates to me the signal strength to penetrate the building is very poor. 

20170608_152104.png

Insert and top up the EE sim today and what a difference. This is from the hospital bed. I know the building is old with thick walls etc but the EE signal is much stronger than O2. I can't wait to try it outside! 

20170608_152648.png

Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 144301 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
My experience in many parts of UK too jonsie.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Good grief @jonsie. Says it all really ....Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 6