Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G England is a joke

Kolt
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Why is it that when I go to holland and use 4G over there im getting 124mbps down and 50mbps while roaming. While im in London no matter where I am I get 20 - 30mbps down and about 5mbps up?

Why does this country cap our speeds?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kolt It won’t be capped. If you are in a big city lots of people will be using 4G so it will be network congestion 

Message 2 of 11

Kolt
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Anonymous, The center of Amsterdam is not classed as congested? I am in a suburb of London and get these speeds. I will also get these speeds in the city centre. It has nothing to do with how many people are on the network.

They are capping the speeds in this country.

Message 3 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
30mbps not fast enough for you?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kolt How do you know they are capping them, they only seem to throttle data abroad. It is congestion actually & as @MI5 has suggested it’s plenty fast enough 

Message 5 of 11

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

30Mb is much faster than I'm getting here and it's nothing to do with capping, more to do with O2's poor infrastructure. They have purchased a large chunk,40MHz spectrum of the 2300MHz band and seem to have just sat on it. Once it's implemented in the larger cities things will improve...or maybe their equipment can't handle it.

Message 6 of 11

Kolt
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Its not the point; you pay for a service and its one of the slowest in europe/world.

They are able to give the speeds. Its got nothing to do with congestion.... If that were the case why does Holland not suffer from this?

Please explain this.

So you are both are happy to pay money for a service that is lacking in some way?
Message 7 of 11

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

No I'm not happy with O2 in so many aspects of their delivery which is why I will be away to EE for my main contract after being with them for over 20 years.That is the only option open to me and the only thing that could affect O2 in the long run. People need to make their feelings known in the only practical way.

Message 8 of 11

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Kolt wrote:
Its not the point; you pay for a service and its one of the slowest in europe/world.

They are able to give the speeds. Its got nothing to do with congestion.... If that were the case why does Holland not suffer from this?

Please explain this.

So you are both are happy to pay money for a service that is lacking in some way?

And you have noticed the main difference between the architeture of London and Amsterdam let alone the topographical nature of The Netherlands? Take into account the population of London v the population of Holland and then you need to factor in what the network can support at load and how many transmitters it can put in place for coverage. Line of sight is a darn sight easier when the country is effectively flat.

The trade-off is exactly that: coverage or speed and its the reliability of network coverage that is the focus in the UK. 

Also, put that into context with the size of England with The Netherlands: https://mapfight.appspot.com/england-vs-nl/england-netherlands-size-comparison. In context, it looks better but you can't go very far if you travel!

Message 9 of 11

Skyhawk1010
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

And just for the record, neither O2 nor EE cap data speeds.

O2 speeds are slow because they won/acquired very little 4G bandwidth to start off with. Coupled with a slow rollout then an explosion in demand, O2 have struggled with 4G speeds as a result.

The good news is O2 acquired a nice chunk of 4G 2300mHz bandwidth back in April and activated it the day after giving the hard-pressed London network an incredible shot in the arm., They’ve also worked hard by refarming both 3G 2100mhz, 2G 1800mHz (little of that as far as O2 are concerned!) and some 2G 900mHz. 

Although demand continues to rise, O2 will have a fair chunk of their network speed issues solved when all of this come on stream in the next coming months.

Message 10 of 11