cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G handsets NEED constant data connection. O2 is failing, time to migrate

Anonymous
Not applicable
Modern handsets or Smartphones as there called are advancing year in and year out, I've been with o2 for about 12 years and have been happy, but now I realise that as technology advances then my data needs a permenant connection to 3G.
Twitter, email, facebook, Map Data, The list goes on so you get 500mb free. ok but I was running out, so I have to pay a £10 more for data. OK?
Well no, you pay that with 3, then you get Unlimited data, WHY?
Why cant o2 offer this? I've phoned them and asked, even offering them more for it but being told that "o2 dont offer this service?" I'm paying £37 for a Samsung Galalxy s2 with 600 minutes and a boat load of text messages, which I dont use as I'm 36 and don't own a Blackberry.O2 USED to be the front runner in mobile calling, instead it just seems to be "We cant give you a good mobile service, BUT we can give you free tickets to bleeding justin timberlake" or some crap like that.
The last straw was in Settle, I was told that "o2 is'nt concentrating on Data but ensuring you get the best call reception!" 4 days camping and all I got was "Emergency Calls Only" so I was getting a signal, but not able to call. When I checked vodafone and Orange was everywhere, but NO o2?
If you ask me it's time for me and all people who use Data, internet, Facebook etc to migrate to 3.
Sorry O2, you are a RELIC!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and welcome to the Community Forum.

02 did offer unlimited Data some time ago but no longer unless your one of the lucky few on a legacy tariff. Apparently congestion was an issue.

Some networks do suffer because of offering unlimited.

Age has no bearing IMO on how you use your bundle. It's usage preference.

Perhaps contact 02 on 202 and ask if anything can be done. They not not be able to but theirs no harm in asking !
It all depends on when you took the contract out.

I have 1gb on my pay as you go go go ,and at the moment it covers my needs however a 2gb as standard would be nice.

At least bolt ons are a choice if you want more data instead of being throttled.

Every network has fringe coverage in places which is what probably happened to you.

02 are continually improving their network especially now 4g is coming.

If your near the end of your contract then maybe 3 will give you want and remember to ask for your PAC code to transfer your number.

There are ways to conserve data usage such as switching to wifi while at home or in outlets such as coffee shops.

I've not heard the same as you about 02 not concentrating on data. I'm sure they are continually concentrating on all aspects of their business.

Take care.
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are map app's that dont need a data connection to be used as the map data can be downloaded over wifi & stored in the phones memory / sd card.

I have Maps with me pro, as long as I have a GPS signal it will work fine without the need for a data connection.

As for coverage issues that should get a lot better in the next 18 months.

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally agree with you!!  O2 need to sharpen up their act and quick!! Im def not renewing next year!!

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Totally agree with you!!  O2 need to sharpen up their act and quick!! I'm def not renewing next year!!

Sorry to hear that Peps,

Its always sad to see someone leave.

But at the end of the day you must do what you feel is right.

I would also suggest you visit the other network community forums as its not always greener on the other side.

Test your shortlist of alternative Networks to ensure you are provided with good network and data coverage where you live, commute and work / school.

I did this by obtaining PAYG sim card's and using each for a couple of weeks.

Take care.

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent idea I'll keep with O2 in the hope of them sorting there act out in 18 months, or I could wait 5 years, I'll keep signing with them, praying they will get there data sorted out. As for the bolt on, I used to have an unlimited bolt on and when I re-signed, i got another bolt on only to find out 26 days later it was 500mb, not even 1 gig as advertised, its just 500mb on top to make 1 gig. how's that for clever advertising. Strange though my daughter on Blackberry gets unlimited data.?
As for maps that was just an example. My mates can multiplayer on theyre games while sat on a bus, using their handsets like they were designed to do. Doesn't bother me though I can check my email, instead.
We'll anyway I better post this now (got to watch my data).
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I mean you know something just isn't quite right when o2 staff at there call centers are telling you THEY are on three, and I'm sure they must get money off there bill for being an employee of o2. Strange?
Maybe its because of the cut outs this year, how many 3? Or the price hike to pay for the £10 off your bill because of the first outage. The grass might not be greener on the other side, but at least it is grass. peps
"Oops, my data!"
Message 7 of 7