cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£2000 bill for calls to Pakistan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello. My son lost my phone - or had it stolen. Anyway, the upshot is that someone has got hold of it and spent 30 hours of calls to Pakistan.The bill to me will be over £1500 and i just do not have that kind of money. Feel a bankruptcy coming on. Never called Pakistan. Never had bad credit. Nobody from O2 warned me the phone was being used like this despite I'm on a £35 per month contract.Please help. What can I do? Will they waive these stolen minutes? How and who can I ask to help?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for advice. Apparently there was never an international calling bar on this new phone. I did not know this. Nobody told me in the shop that international calls could be made. Anyone with any sense would not have international dialling just in case a phone got lost. Thats the first thing. The second issue I have is I dont know why o2 did not contact me when these calls were being made. Contrast with a bank. If a person starts spending wildely, the bank will be in touch immediately. Anyway, I shall let you know what happens. Hopefully, I shant lose my house because of all this! Happy Xmas

I agree with everything everyone else has put.

O2 are not in breach of contract asking you for this amount as you did not (I assume) report the phone as lost.

O2 have the international dialling ability on the accounts as I would say most of the customers use it at some point and it is easier to have no international bar on the account then a customer get to outside the UK and find they can't use their phone.

O2 will not bar your phone because you are using it a lot, they will in some cases bar your phone for unbilled usage if you have not had 3 months worth of line rental and clear bills.

I very much doubt you will get any of it back as they are not in the wrong. 9 days after the bill is unpaid you will get a bar on the account/ phone, then your phone will be disconnected and term fees applied, then passed onto a collection agency and this will go against your credit rating.

Is it not easier and better to accept fault and go through to collections and set up a payment plan?
Message 11 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello. My son lost my phone - or had it stolen. Anyway, the upshot is that someone has got hold of it and spent 30 hours of calls to Pakistan.The bill to me will be over £1500 and i just do not have that kind of money. Feel a bankruptcy coming on. Never called Pakistan. Never had bad credit. Nobody from O2 warned me the phone was being used like this despite I'm on a £35 per month contract.Please help. What can I do? Will they waive these stolen minutes? How and who can I ask to help?

Yes you are liable. I really sympathise but this is why lots of people have mobile phone insurance for 'just in case' cover. Why not pass the cost on to your son, he will never lose a phone again!
Message 12 of 12