cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02UK TEXT SCAM - Beware

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ive just been charged £18.32 (ex vat) for clicking on to a link from a text message I received from 02UK, I don't usually click on these links but it actually used my name in the greeting and not the usual "dear O2 customer" that most scams use
After clicking on the link in the text message it took me to the O2 website, I was still a bit unsure at this point so I clicked on "my O2" this then showed me the log in page, but I had ticked the box that says "remember my details" all my details were already there! At this point I came off the page only to be sent another text message 55 minutes later saying I'd used 30% of my international data! Hence the charge of £18.32
My partner also got the same text message but didn't click on the link
A few points concern me
How did they know my name
Why haven't O2 sent texts out warning about this
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

What a nighmare.

Report it asap to customer services.

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/everything-else/unwanted-calls-and-messages

Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

There have been a few posts about scams including your name - maybe O2 has been hacked at some point, but kept it quiet? Maybe a good rule of thumb maybe is ignore any communications preporting to be from o2 unless you are positive of it's authenticity. 

Message 3 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

As @Toby  was involved in the scam thread from last night..I have mentioned him in this one...seems to be the time of year for new contracts etc..

Here is the link from the other thread..

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/02UK-scam-being-sent-to-pay-monthly-customers/td-p...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've spoke to customer services as soon as it opened this morning, they said that they are going to get someone to investigate it and could take up to 3 days to get a reply and that I should go see a guru at the O2 store
Message 5 of 15

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Gary,

I'm Toby, the community coordinator.
Sorry to hear this and you did the right thing by reprting it to customer services. Do let us know how you get on.

This goes to everyone - if you hear about anyone receiving such messages, do ask them to send me a private message.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I've spoke to customer services as soon as it opened this morning, they said that they are going to get someone to investigate it and could take up to 3 days to get a reply and that I should go see a guru at the O2 store

I hope this is resolved speedily for you.

Please let us know how you get on.

Message 7 of 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think this is so worrying. And a new twist on an old scam....Thing is it is coming up to the New Year...many people are due for an upgrade or a change of tariff...and these texts and emails seem to be targetting them.

Its ok to say 'ignore them' but they are coming in with O2UK on them and very easy for people to think it IS O2..

I am due to change my contract this month...be interesting to see if anyone contacts me  Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

If they are timed for renewals etc how have the scammers got this info?

Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If they are timed for renewals etc how have the scammers got this info?

As upgrades happen throughout the year im guessing they are chancing their arm by mass sending out. And perhaps due to the time of year people are less on guard due to the festivities  

Message 10 of 15